•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revs up then lunges

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Revs up then lunges

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I tried searching and searching and couldn't find a soultion. But I have a problem/question. I currently own a 2006 Aveo LS Hatchback with 120k Miles automatic. About a week ago I started the car, put it in reverse and it wouldn't move. I felt it shift into 2nd, because the car moved like it would if you shifted with your foot on the brake. Hit the gas, and it would make a bang, and start moving. It was like the breaks were stuck on. I changed the calipers, thinking maybe they were seized up. It's not the transmission, because once you start moving and driving it's fine. But everyonce in a while, when slowing down, right before coming to a complete stop you can feel the breaks engage completely, then when taking off again it revs up and bang and goes. Would a bad master cylinder cause an issue like this? Vacuum line, any ideas? When driving today i started hearing a grinding noise like breaks dragging from the drivers side. Sorry if I'm doing this wrong. Like i said, I'm new to the forum.

Thanks for any replies

Thanks
      I guess a better way to explain it.

1. When accelerating from a stop:

A sound from the front driver's side. A rapid, repeating sound, like a fan brushing against something.

2. After starting car, was able to shift to other gears, but transmission stayed in park. Reving the engine would cause engine to shift into gear. But the repeating sound would continue as driving. I'm actually starting to think it's something with the transmission and not the breaks at all! I pray it's not, as i can't afford a new vehicle, or repairs. I am capable or minor repairs myself though.

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      If you have access to a code reader, post the codes so that other members can help you with the problem. There are lots of really sharp folks on this forum who can help, but they do need more information than you are providing to solve your problem. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by thankful_ragamuffin View Post
      If you have access to a code reader, post the codes so that other members can help you with the problem. There are lots of really sharp folks on this forum who can help, but they do need more information than you are providing to solve your problem. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
      Thank you. I'll get the codes read asap

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Codes would definitely help, but the banging and such sounds like a bad torque converter to me.That said, it could also be a bad mount. I am not sure that a automatic with cable selector would be affected the same way as a manual with a bad mount with loss of shifting. But to know where to look, that is where codes come in.

Thanks
      I'm starting to lean more and more towards torque converter myself. Any tips for replacements (brand Model numbers), and is there a right up somewhere on changing it. I'm pretty confident I can do it myself.

Thanks
      Codes:
      P2135
      P0132
      P0451
      P0455
      P0420

Thanks
      Quite a mixed bag of codes. Just thinking out loud; is the gas cap off? These would point to TPS, O2 sensor, and evap system errors, so no help for pinning down a trans problem. How is the condition of the battery?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      If it wasn't your driving description, that set of codes makes me think either your o2 is going bad or your throttle body needs a thorough cleaning. I would start with the cleaning first as it is "cheap" to do. As improper fueling issues will cause the surging in rpm which will result in the car lunging and such.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I'll put my money on this.
      More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS APS255

That P2135 is fairly specific, and I'm assuming it was the first code read. Plus the symptoms match what a defective one of these sensors would probably do.

It would be nice if just a new O2 sensor took care of the rest of the codes, but the P0420 is ominous. Sometimes the sensor takes care of that code, and sometimes it doesn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast