•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil leak issues

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Oil leak issues

Hello,

I've been a lurker on this forum for a while and I actually have used it to fix many issues on my car because you guys are awesome. Unfortunately i have an issue I was unable to solve by browsing this time so I thought I would participate in the conversation!

As I wrapped up a repair job on my rear shocks I decided to go ahead and do a full check on my fluids and noticed my oil was gone. This shocked me pretty hard and made me determined to figure out what was up before anymore damage might occur. I have pretty much narrowed the leak down to the oil pan around this area:

Untitled by Jason Kidrowski, on Flickr

I originally thought it might be the drain plug but then I looked up a diagram and realized that the drain plug was on the rear of the oil pan.

So basically I need to know what part is supposed to go here.

I'm very thankful for any help because this has been bothering me all morning.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I am not certain but it looks like you are indicating where the engine meets the transmission. If that is the case and oil is dripping out there, you may have a rear main leaking. If the car is a stick shift that can also ruin the clutch and/or cause the clutch to slip.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by milesvinson View Post
      I am not certain but it looks like you are indicating where the engine meets the transmission. If that is the case and oil is dripping out there, you may have a rear main leaking. If the car is a stick shift that can also ruin the clutch and/or cause the clutch to slip.
      Thanks for the response. I have an automatic, but I'm not sure if there is supposed to be a piece that goes there. It feels like a hole is there for a part to go into but there is nothing there but oil leaking down. I have scheduled a mechanic to look at it on Monday but I still want to know as much as I can before then.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Have you checked the oil filter and oil pressre sender unit for leaks?

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by milesvinson View Post
      I'll bet you are correct in that it's an engine oil seal that is leaking. Replacing the seal is not a cheap repair, but it's worth having the job done if you intend to keep the car.

If not, just keep dumping oil into it (weekly) and let it keep leaking... It won't get better, it will only get worse, until the seal is replaced.

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      If it is a seal, there are a number of seal conditioning additives on the market that can postpone the inevitable for a while. Our shop has used some with good success for customers who are pressed for cash. I put some in my son's Malibu and his steering rack hasn't leaked for two years now.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by thankful_ragamuffin View Post
      If it is a seal, there are a number of seal conditioning additives on the market that can postpone the inevitable for a while. Our shop has used some with good success for customers who are pressed for cash. I put some in my son's Malibu and his steering rack hasn't leaked for two years now.
      An additive might work on a steering rack. It won't work for an engine seal. "Been there, done that", on more than one car I've owned over the years.

Using a heavy weight oil might slow the leak. But the leak will only continue and get worse over time.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      if your valve cover is leaking and the leak is hidden by the coil pack, it could run down and drip from there. In fact. I think judging from the amount of staining around the bell housing in that picture, that the leak is coming from above. So i would check the oil filter area, the valve cover gasket and the sensor holes.

Theses are all based on the oil consumption rate. Like thymeclock says. But if you have never had a leak and it is now empty. it is most likely the rear main. If you haven't checked the oil and just noticed it is low. it could be what i suggested. IF the rear main is leaking, and it lost oil over night/ or a day of driving, fill it with oil and start it, you will probably see it dripping if that is the rate you re losing it.

Thanks
      How old is the car and how many miles are on it?

Thanks
      It's an 06 Aveo with around 86000 miles on it. Anyways heres the update, I had it taken in to get checked and it turned out that my head gasket was shot and the oil was leaking down from there in a very deceptive way. It was so bad that oil was draining around my spark plugs and had completely clogged up the wires causing me to have to replace them. It cost about 280 to have the work and parts taken care of, which is decent from what I have been told considering all that they replaced. Anyways she's running fine now, though my mechanic has advised that I watch it for the next week and check my oil to ensure there are no other leaks happening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast