•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine 'Flaring' between gear changes.Argggh.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Engine 'Flaring' between gear changes.Argggh.

I have a brand new Barina/Aveo with the E-Tech II 16V engine (1.6ltr) and the engine flares between gear changes that is - to change gear- foot off accelerator , clutch in and the engine revs go up before going down , the amount of revs increase is directly proportional to the revs at the time of commencing changing :- ie. 3000 revs prior to change the revs will rise to 3300 before deacreasing , this makes changing an absolute PITA at times as the syncro's get loaded up and obviously this makes the change more difficult with second often finding 4th and third prefering 5th.
      I've taken the car back to the dealers with a defect notice , they have tested the car and say that nothing is wrong and that the flaring is a "characteristic" of the car and that "all this model do it".
      Wonderfull --I can look forward to prematurely worn synchros , gearbox , clutch and driveline components if I can't get this fixed--what a delight'.
      My response to this nonsense is that I have farting characteristic if I drink to much beer and eat chilli but that dosen't make it alright in company and just because many others are similarly affected dosen't make it right for them either.
      Has anyone else experianced this condition with thier cars when new/or not with any Aveo model atall - particularly the ones with the E-Tech II 16V 1.6ltr engine ?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Re: Engine 'Flaring' between gear changes.Argggh.

Howzit,

I have the 1.5 SOHC and mine does the same thing from day one! Nothing to worry about, as far as I know all of them do it!

Will do some research and get back to you on why they do this...

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

how fast are you pushing in the pedal? our cars are drive by wire, and hydraulic clutches. so there is a delay in throttle response and the clutch acts quickly..

im not saying you are doing it wrong, but its two variables that would allow this to happen..

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      how fast are you pushing in the pedal? our cars are drive by wire, and hydraulic clutches. so there is a delay in throttle response and the clutch acts quickly..

im not saying you are doing it wrong, but its two variables that would allow this to happen..
      No matter how slowly , or quickly for that matter , I change it still does it.
      My first thought was that it is another "improvemnt' drive by wire idiosynchrosy however this one is appears to be drive by cable-(I think) however if it is drive by wire then the lag may be rectified by a vist to an auto sparks who knows what he's doing----and that might by like searching for a yeti--
      I'm thinking Stepper motor , TPS , AFM , just because they don't throw a fault code dosen't mean they're actualy working correctly but it can become an expensive (and often futile) excercise to play the "lets replace the sensors game".

clik pic to enlarge

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion racingSA
      Howzit,
      I have the 1.5 SOHC and mine does the same thing from day one! Nothing to worry about, as far as I know all of them do it!
      Will do some research and get back to you on why they do this...
      Thanks for that it's like having an itch I can't scratch that only starts when I drive the car. aaaaarrrrrrrrgh

clik to enlarge

Drive by wire ????????????

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BASHO
      Drive by wire ????????????
      no
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

There is a nut (turnable by a small allen key) at the throttle body which hold the throttle opened at a slight angle when throttle is released fully. If that nut is too high, meaning the throttle open too much when throttle is fully released, it will cause this whinning of engine when clutch it. Becos too much air rush in. The closing of the throttle plate is stopped by the nut.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xiaogary
      There is a nut (turnable by a small allen key) at the throttle body which hold the throttle opened at a slight angle when throttle is released fully. If that nut is too high, meaning the throttle open too much when throttle is fully released, it will cause this whinning of engine when clutch it. Becos too much air rush in. The closing of the throttle plate is stopped by the nut.
      That nut is to adjust the idle, if the car is idling fine, adjusting it won't fix the issue he has.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Could it be the O2 sensor? I've had problems with the engine revving up and down in neutral before and that fixed it...

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetroAveo
      Could it be the O2 sensor? I've had problems with the engine revving up and down in neutral before and that fixed it...
      The symtoms you describe could also be , and usualy is , the intake AFM (air flow meter) so it's easy to see that when no sensors are out far enough to throw up a fault code or a CEL (check engine light) the problem becomes a bit harder to pin down , it could be :--

*Intake AFM (air flow meter).
      *stepper motor.
      *TPS (throttle position sensor).
      *02 sensor/s.
      *Flywheel position sensor.
      *Intake vacuum sensor --(whose name I don't know).
      *And if they all (GM Holden Barinas, AVEO8s) do it--inacurate basic throttle opperation programing.

Where no cel/mil warning light is present you would think that an accredited GM workshop/dealership would have someone with enough experiance to diagnose the problem--in this instance--obviously not.

I have given GM/Holden a defect notice along with notice that I will hold them liable for all damage requiring replacement or repair to consumeables not covered by warranty --ie clutch--etc along with all other normal warranty items which may be affected by this in event of premature wear and in perpetuity , this will now also include charges for my time and consumeables (stationery,secretarial time etc) expendeded attending to this matter.
      GM/Holden are stating that this is a "characteristic" of this vehicle (Barina TK09 -I think Aveo the one with the E-TECH II 16V engine in it.
      Be warned "CHARICTERISTIC" = a GMism for fault we won't / can't fix .
      It is not a huge issue to me --just a fault which should be rectified.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast