•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diagnosing CV joint versus Wheel Bearing

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by exodus0784 View Post
      The ball joint... just remove the two bolts that connect it to the control arm next time... a hell of a lot easier
      I actually tried that, I couldn't break them loose even with a snipe. The angle it was at and the setup isnt idea nor worth getting hurt over. I feel safer cutting the bolts off and it was $28 bux for a pair a joints with bolts so im not worried about it plus I have an extra when I do it again

Last edited by RBRx; 05-27-2016 at 06:20 PM.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Sounds like you need an impact gun to go with your press

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by exodus0784 View Post
      Sounds like you need an impact gun to go with your press
      I have a battery one but it wasnt up to the task (I tried) since it's only capable of 90ft/lbs
      Last edited by RBRx; 05-27-2016 at 06:27 PM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Damn no joy, I half assed put the knuckle together and threw her in gear while up in the air and she's still making noise although it doesnt feel grabby like it wanted to shift power over to the other wheel so that's good I suppose. Now im gonna pry the cv joint and run it and pray to god it's not the tranny :/

Edit: I pulled the shaft and ran it, No noise YAY \/

But im not sure if it's bad and not just transfering noise from the tranny/diff. I took avguys advice about doing rotations of the joint in reverse on the spindle end and there was no noise but now that I have it out the transmission joint locks up on rotations. There's no noise but it doesn't rotate and have the freedom like the spindle end, is that normal?
      Last edited by RBRx; 05-28-2016 at 04:24 PM.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I had squealing on my left front tire a few months ago. While the car was in the air I checked the bearing and found no play. But the CV joints looked good, so I was reasonably certain it was the bearing. Don't have a 20T press at home, and I know how difficult it is without one, so I just took it to the mechanic. He confirmed that it was the bearing.

So, yes, it's possible to not have any slop while examining the bearing under no load, but still have a bad bearing.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by zchandran View Post
      I had squealing on my left front tire a few months ago. While the car was in the air I checked the bearing and found no play. But the CV joints looked good, so I was reasonably certain it was the bearing. Don't have a 20T press at home, and I know how difficult it is without one, so I just took it to the mechanic. He confirmed that it was the bearing.

So, yes, it's possible to not have any slop while examining the bearing under no load, but still have a bad bearing.
      Ahh thanks for the extra confirmation but the bearing has since been replaced with no resolution so it's onto the CV shaft which im waiting on in the mail

As for a little offtopic honorable mention, his 05 aveo has a crack in the thermo housing which is plastic and today I found a crack in my 08 with a metal housing a little ironic

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I have a Harbor Freight 120 Volt impact . It is big , heavy & unhandy , but it seems to work and have enough power for what I have used it for . So far .

I have never heard of a CV joint / half shaft being bad as long as the rubber boots were intact . And holding the grease in & keeping the dirt & water / mud out . But you may be right .

God bless
      Wyr

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
      I have a Harbor Freight 120 Volt impact . It is big , heavy & unhandy , but it seems to work and have enough power for what I have used it for . So far .

I have never heard of a CV joint / half shaft being bad as long as the rubber boots were intact . And holding the grease in & keeping the dirt & water / mud out . But you may be right .

God bless
      Wyr
      I can confirm the inner CV joint was bad, After comparing the new one versus the old ones movement by hand it was like night and day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12