•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine getting very hot during idle.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Exclamation Engine getting very hot during idle.

I was just at a light a few minutes ago after driving only a mile, and I noticed the temperature gauge go up to 3/4 while sitting idle for approx 15 seconds at a light. Once I started moving again, it went back down to the 1/2 mark where it should be. I have never EVER seen a car go more than a millimeter or so over the 1/2 mark. Can anyone tell me what may cause this, and if it is cause for concern. Because I'm concerned...

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gorilla p View Post
      I was just at a light a few minutes ago after driving only a mile, and I noticed the temperature gauge go up to 3/4 while sitting idle for approx 15 seconds at a light. Once I started moving again, it went back down to the 1/2 mark where it should be. I have never EVER seen a car go more than a millimeter or so over the 1/2 mark. Can anyone tell me what may cause this, and if it is cause for concern. Because I'm concerned...
      Gorilla, It's a course in radiator fluid 101 that pertains to all vehicles: When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and look inside. If it isn't full, that's the problem. Add water or antifreeze to fill it up. Also fill the overflow bottle to the recommended level. Check it again in about a week. If either fluid level has dropped, you have a leak that requires repair.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I don't see any leaks, as leaks are extremely obvious in my driveway. It also just had an inspection at the GM dealership a couple weeks ago when I brought it in, and I've only had it a month, so I'm confident the fluid levels are OK. I'm thinking along the lines of a fan issue. possibly electrical. This seems to be the most common cause from what I've been able to find. The attached picture is from letting the car idle in my driveway for approx. 1 minute. It's certified used and is under warranty for another 10K+ miles, so I'll prob have to bring it in sometime soon. I've heard a lot of horror stories about these cars, and figured I'd be OK going with a certified used car with a 1yr/12K mile warranty with only 59K miles, but I'm getting a bit nervous.

Picture Here
      Last edited by gorilla p; 06-06-2012 at 03:25 AM.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      fan issue is possible, as well a the fluid leaking out of the water pump, or its being burned of by a head gasket and/or stuck thermostat.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      fan issue is possible, as well a the fluid leaking out of the water pump, or its being burned of by a head gasket and/or stuck thermostat.
      All true. But first check the fluid level. It's easy, and something everyone should know how to do.

Also: do you smell the sweet odor of coolant anywhere on the car, including under the hood or in the passenger compartment?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I just checked and the reservoir is nearly full. There are also no leaks. I have also not noticed and abnormal smells within the car.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      probobly stuck thermostat. easy fix. finding the part will be a hastle though

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      This car is stull under bumper to bumper warranty for another 11K miles/11 mo., so it's not a huge deal. A friend of mine said he thought as the same thing.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      my car is always really hot, i had a coolant hosed replaced that blew and it has not been the same since. before it was always only ever on half at the highest and now it wont stay there ever. if i park the car and restart it, it gets way hot then eventually goes down. today i tried running my ac that is not running well and when i parked and restarted it was almost all the way up, so i turned it off and drove, the faster i went the cooler it went but still never back down to the halfway mark. I am not leaking anything i am very familiar with the smell of antifreeze and regular look under car for abnormal leaks...any ideas??

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by bobbihaire View Post
      my car is always really hot, i had a coolant hosed replaced that blew and it has not been the same since. before it was always only ever on half at the highest and now it wont stay there ever. if i park the car and restart it, it gets way hot then eventually goes down. today i tried running my ac that is not running well and when i parked and restarted it was almost all the way up, so i turned it off and drove, the faster i went the cooler it went but still never back down to the halfway mark. I am not leaking anything i am very familiar with the smell of antifreeze and regular look under car for abnormal leaks...any ideas??
      Other possibilities are a bad thermostat or a bad cooling fan sensor. What is the mileage and when was the thermostat last changed? Does the cooling fan come on when it's hot? It might be a problem in the fan circuit like the sensor, an bad connector or a bad wire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast