•  

Thread: Accessory Belt Replacement....Time Or Mileage?

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Accessory Belt Replacement....Time Or Mileage?

Hey. Sorry to be a pest...but...I cant find info. about the accessory belt care/replacement. I did a search here and didn't find what I needed. Does this belt get replaced at a certain time...as in years, or mileage? ....like the timing belt has, at 60K miles.

Mine isnt making any noise, it is working fine, as far as I know. But it is now almost 6 years old, BUT again, only 21K miles on it. So...is it time or mileage that determines replacement?

I get the feeling I should replace it as a preventive measure. IF I should, is this the right time to replace the timing belt as well? I mean, will the part of the engine that has the accessory belt on it, be 'opened' and that would expose the timing belt, so it would save money on labor/time, to do them both. OR are the two totally unrelated replacements, and there is no connection between the two.

I know the timing belt is inside the engine, but will replacing the accessory belt expose the timing belt at all, and thus save some time, and money in labor in replacing the timing belt as well??

Any 'price range' to replace JUST the accessory belt? I have no idea. I know the timing belt is expensive....thus if it is time saving to replace both at the same time, and thus save on labor, it should be a savings in labor cost to do both....right?

Thanks
      The best way to see if your belt needs replacing is to look at it. See if the rubber is cracking and possibly missing sections. Same goes for the timing belt (which is right behind the accessory belt under the plastic covers).

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      As stated on page 6-5 of the owner's manual, the timing belt should be inspected every 30,000 miles and replaced every 60,000 miles. There is nothing stating the accessory belt, so I would just check the belt and look for worn spots, tears or breaks.
      Breanne
      Chevrolet Customer Service

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      and don't do what i did and not pay attention to the belt routing as you remove it as there is no sticker under the hood, but i will upload some pics to here showing what i did.