If you were shopping for a used Aveo, what would be your top 5 Aveo-specific issues you would watch out for or inspect?
1) Timing belt - this would be at the top of most people's lists for the gen. 1 car. Ensure it has been replaced, and/or inspect its condition (for dryness/cracking).
2) Timing belt idler pulley - if it fails, the result is the same as a broken belt. UPDATE: avguy recommends changing all if you're going to do any -- a failed bearing in any will have the same bad result.
3) Front suspension - worn strut mounts & control arm bushings can lead to noisy & sloppy front suspension.
4) Plastic thermostat housing - crack and buh-bye coolant! Metal replacements are available.
5) Automatic transmission: BTSI solenoid - trouble removing key from ignition. More info.
6) Valve cover gasket leaks happen like clockwork, and plug wires go bad if they've been soaked in oil for any amount of time.
7) Rusted-out strut tower doesn't show up here often, but it's a big deal because of the level and cost of the repair.
8 ) Radiator/tranny cooler in 2009's has had multiple reports of leaking into each other.
9) Bad coolant tank caps in 2010's has had multipe reports causing overheating.
What else comes to mind? Post in this thread and I'll add to the list.