Here's a checklist of specific things to watch out for when looking for a second hand Aveo / Wave / G3 / Swift+.
I mean, aside from the generic used car stuff.
Feel free to reply with additional items in this thread. I'll update this post .
1) Timing belt: The belts on the 2004-2007 cars are a known weak point. They have a history of failure very close to (sometimes before) the recommended replacement interval (60,000 mi / 100,000 km). Failure = severe engine damage (interference engine design) and big repair bills.
- 2005 5 spd Sedan - timing belt issues - being repaired
2) Plastic thermostat housing: known to crack. If coolant is released & the driver doesn't notice, will lead to overheating the engine & possible engine damage. A metal replacement housing is available.
- 04-09 engine interchange (thermostat housing cracked - engine overheated)
3) Front control arm bushings, rear torsion bar bushings: may cause clunking / squeaking suspension noise, tire wear. Lubrication could solve a squeak, but a worn (clunking) bushing needs replacing.
4) Front strut mounts: wear can lead to excessive play & suspension noise, tire wear.
5) Clutch release bearing: a worn bearing will make noise in the transmission with the clutch depressed; letting the clutch out will make the noise stop.
6) Excessive wind noise around A-pillar: seems a somewhat common complaint. Additional weatherstripping may fix the problem.
- 2009 Aveo Wind Noise
7) Potential rust problems: dirt in front quarter panels & peeling undercoating in wheel wells: Several owners have reported finding dirt accumulated inside the front wheel well liner, behind the tire. This can trap moisture and become a corrosion problem.
8 ) Non-replaceable inner tie rod ends: the connection is direct to the steering rack, so play in that joint will require replacement of the rack.
9 ) Gas filler door & cap: the door is problem-prone (there are lots of stories in the forum of doors that won't latch or won't open, and how to fix it). Also, the cap is prone to cracking, which causes vent issues, and can cause the check engine light to come on.
- Search for "gas door" forum threads
10 ) Throttle body: issues with the throttle body can cause driveability/power problems. Sometimes it can be fixed by cleaning the tb, other times it requires TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) replacement, or the entire TB.
- Search for "throttle body" in forum threads
See also: http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f108/list-aveo-recalls-model-year-10152/