•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On-Star: what's your opinion?

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Aside from Onstar, their are other companies out there that are similar. Mercedes Benz has a system JUST LIKE onstar. It is Mercedes Benz Teleaid. I worked in the teleaid call center roughly 10 years ago. Their is one major misconception ( actually a few). Their is not a constant connection to the vehicle, government DOES NOT have access to the system. Each employee associated with the systems as far as monitoring goes has to be licensed by whatever state they are in for security work. Aside from how complex the system is, yes it is a celullar connection so providing certain laws (depends on where you live) certain entities can access certain information. If the government feels you (not anyone in particular) are involved in terroristic activity, cell phone records can be pulled for GPS triangulation and to see who was called (conference or 3 way). If the entity obtains a warrant to track via stolen vehicle tracking, you will know something is up when you get the monthly minute usage statement. I my self would never need a system like this, but from my experience some people really benefit from it. In case when I was at the call center, I received an airbag signal. the lady in the car had a diabetic stroke and passed out and wrecked her car. She was passed out so she couldnt do anything, we were connected so we were able to call paramedics and police. these systems do have benefits but not everyone needs them. but government DOES NOT and CAN NOT monitor your car just because they want to. they have to have a legit reason, reasoning enough to obtain a warrant.

Last edited by paulsaveo; 03-09-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Until the government changes what its allowed to do again.

they are already listening to 75% of international calls screening for keywords and "intercepted" code words.

onstar actually advertises that if your car is stolen they can shut it off and locate it. We are just one step away from the police being able to shut it off in a high speed chase if its your own car. Then all the democrats in congress will pass a monitoring law to help protect the people from themselves, and all the republicans will allow it to pass if they put provisions in it to monitor cars that cross the border as potentially smuggling illegals or drugs into the country.. and the car will automatically call into the center when you hit 72 mph. (done feeding the guys with the aluminum foil hats).

And when you sign up for the emails, the apps, etc they have disclosure statements in them saying the company can monitor your vehicle to get that information, etc. they don't need to be on constantly. if the computer remembers it, they know what the radio is turned on to when they access the car, and they know where your car is during the call.. etc. You would be surprised what runs through the body computer. As well as the built in cell phone connection... (try taking it out).

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      the only thing that bothers me about onstar is HOW much it is integrated into the car.. i mean, you can't put an aftermarket radio in without additional cost or your airbags might not go off.
      If you've owned GM cars in the past, you might notice a trend that is not new.

I have a 1988 Chevy Caprice. It has a Delco radio that works, but it's nothing to brag about. I wanted to replace the radio with a better one, but when I found out how much work it would be to remove it, I decided against it. In short, they built the entire dashboard around that radio. Following that trend, they now have built the entire car around... their radio.

I must admit that on the Aveo the upgraded radio (the one with satellite capability) does sound very good, however. As the Brits called the truck monitoring devices imposed upon them decades ago, it's "the spy in the cab".

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Onstar is crap. My buddies dad got in his newer wrx and was hitting the interstate at about 100 like every normal person and instate came on and said slow your speed down to 80 MPH in the next 30 seconds or your vehicle will be shut off and authorities will be called! I say don't get it its pointless a hide a let and a cell phone are easier and cheaper.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Mileage tax a "practical option," budget analysts tell Congress - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

just to feed the trolls.. saw this on the news found an article.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      Mileage tax a "practical option," budget analysts tell Congress - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

just to feed the trolls.. saw this on the news found an article.
      munch munch munch @#$% #$%#$ F#$ Congress $^^^# can't find their A$$ from hole in a ground @#%%% munch!

There the troll was fed.

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12