•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On-Star: what's your opinion?

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

On-Star: what's your opinion?

What are your opinions about On-Star? Our ’09 came with it installed. After one year the contract ran out and we didn’t renew it. Wifey wanted it, but I told her a cell phone would do just as well. I’ve driven cars for 40 years without it, so I didn’t want or need it. When I bought the car, having On-Star on it did not influence the purchase. To me it was just another unwanted electronic gimmick… (Ho-hum.)

Now, after the service being lapsed for four months, On-Star is offering us another full year of service for free, apparently with no strings attached.

I’ve read that with it activated your car can be tracked at all times, without your knowledge. Are there any real disadvantages to having it?

If you have it, do you use it? Did it influence anyone’s decisions to buy an Aveo?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      even without it activated, they can track you. you have a fully power sim card in your car with an assigned connection.

I HATE IT, i dont like having buttons that dont work (because i dont pay for service) i dont like having lights infront of the rearview mirror (of close to), and i dont like that it makes things more expensive for how integrated it is. MAYBE if some of the features worked on my car, like the iphone app, unlocking my manual lock doors, etc.. but when mine ran out it was like paying for cell service all over again, and even more for the additional features.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Onstar is a sham business designed to spy on people just ask Jessie Ventura every time he buys a car he rips out the Onstar or anything that has anything to do with the government out. The Sync from Ford is no different.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dragonwarrior2016 View Post
      Onstar is a sham business designed to spy on people just ask Jessie Ventura every time he buys a car he rips out the Onstar or anything that has anything to do with the government out. The Sync from Ford is no different.
      WOW........paranoid? You have to weigh in the advantages/disadvantages(money)of having said onstar in your car. In one use of their "we can unlock your car for you" you can save some cash compared to calling a locksmith, stolen car can be tracked and disabled and the (hope you or no one ever needs it) automatic crash response feature. If I had the option I would definetly renew but I drive on alot of rural roads and mostly at night so thats my reasoning for it as well.
      "Man who stand on toilet is high on pot""

Thanks
      With Jesse Ventura's show, I think that would be a very good idea for his safety. IDK if what he says is true, but if it is, then he is doing the smart thing. But I do have a thread about a guy who was, in my opinion, very paranoid, but had a great point about Onstar. But even if you do take out the Onstar or get a car not equipped with it, the government can pretty much do what they want and can sometimes get away with it. Onstar would be very useful, if only it wasn't for the government invading our privacy for "our protection".

For me, at first Onstar was quite a feature to have. A year & a half after buying the car, I have slightly less than 230 minutes on the phone, and have never really used the onstar. So Onstar wouldn't be that big of a deal to me if I bought another car.

Here's the thread that I mentioned (Check out the article in the original post): http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f81/f...i-found-11359/

But even if you disabled the Onstar, the government has other ways of tracking or eavesdropping on you: Caught Spying on Student, FBI Demands GPS Tracker Back | Threat Level | Wired.com

In other words, with the level of technology, and irregardless if it's government or non-government, anyone good with a computer could spy on you and you would never know it.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MoneyMike View Post
      But even if you disabled the Onstar, the government has other ways of tracking or eavesdropping on you: Caught Spying on Student, FBI Demands GPS Tracker Back | Threat Level | Wired.com

In other words, with the level of technology, and irregardless if it's government or non-government, anyone good with a computer could spy on you and you would never know it.
      Yes Sir..............it's the gov. man.........cmon if they want to spy on you or just check what you ate for the week they can do it easily and have no consequences for it. I mean even if you have proof they were spying on you and you decided to go to court about it you probably wouldnt find a lawyer that would take the case and if you did find one you sure as hell couldnt afford(its the aveoforum for ****sake)it for long.

Back on topic though...........I think its up to you to get the onstar again and if they are offering it free no strings attached for a year get it.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by redrob View Post

Back on topic though...........I think its up to you to get the onstar again and if they are offering it free no strings attached for a year get it.
      Just yesterday, before reading these latest posts, we did renew it. Since it was free and wifey wanted it, I couldn't see any harm in it. The only place she ever drives is to work and to go shopping. If anyone could spy on us they'd find it pretty boring.

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      ^^ lol. I have the next best thing to onstar. It's called Bluetooth. It's as traceable as the cell phone I own. And there is a nice little button on my radio that doesn't cost me every month to use.

Alpine 103BT.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Thanks
      So what do you guys think a GPS does for tracking abilities? There really isnt much that cant be linked to you and used for purposes other than what they are intended for.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      the only thing that bothers me about onstar is HOW much it is integrated into the car.. i mean, you can't put an aftermarket radio in without additional cost or your airbags might not go off. They can shut your car off, they can lock you inside the car, and they can change your radio station, etc.

GPS gives an approximate location and thats fine. Onstar can sell information about you like what radio programs you listen to, how fast you drive, what times of day, if you wear your seat belt. How often you change your oil, what routes you drive, ETC.
      It seems like a marketing scam.

It also seems like (if you like the big brother thing) that they could call a police officer sitting on the side of the road, and say "_______ is traveling at 9 miles over the legal limit, is not wearing a seat belt, and is listening to death metal, when he passes you we will shut his car off and lock his doors for you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast