•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muffler ??

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Muffler ??

Yesterday I was driving and stopped at a light. I started moving when the light turned, all of a sudden I hear a loud noise, I thought someone on a bike was following me then I realized it was me. I stopped the car at a mechanic I know just down the street he looked on the bottom but nothing was hanging down. i did not have time to put it on lift, so I had to go( the car runs well) My question is this "if everything is attached on the bottom why is that noise coming? Is it a hole? If it is a hole can i patch it? I will look Saturday (right it is freezing outside but will be much warmer this weekend

BM

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      It could be any thing from the brakes to the exhaust. You could have a piece of ice hung in the brakes or it could be a rock. Check those first. Being front will i would check and see if my CV joints were alright and then would proceed to the exhaust because a loose shield could cause some problems with noice as well.

Thanks
      Holes happen. They can be welded up, or the section of pipe replaced.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Ice? It was close to 60 degrees yesterday. The car seems to works fine including the brakes. The noise gets loud when i rev up the engine, really loud. It's gotta be the muffler, and since everything looks okay underneath I think it must be a hole but this happened all of a sudden with no warning so I am confused more than anything else.

BM

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Did you check the flex pipe by the passenger front wheel?
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Take a look through the driver side rear wheel well just in front of the tire. You should be able to see the flange connecting the muffler pipe to mid pipe. Last year on my '05 a rust hole happened just above the flange on the muffler down pipe. This hole quickly turned into a full separation in just a few days. Although it may be possible to weld this break, it was right at the flange, and there was lots of rust on the flange as well. I didn't want to have to mess around with this more than once. So I replaced the muffler with a $100 Walker, which was a perfect fit for both the flange and all 3 hangers. This might not be the current problem on yours, but I think it's likely to happen frequently on our Aveos because with the flange being perfectly horizontal, it allows water and crud to collect and stay at that location.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      No I have not checked it too closely but i will when it gets warmer BTW the sound is coming from the front so maybe it might be what ontarian_frog or avguy suggests I am just hoping I can repair it since i have so much money on repairs this year.

BM

Thanks
      A flex pipe is pretty easy to fix yourself if you have a sawzall. Just cut the old one off and put a new one on, use some u-bolt clamps and bingo bango you're done. You just have to make sure you get the right size flex pipe (diameter and length).

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      my bad was thinking yall still had ice up there in that part. Well hope everyone else helped you out then.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I finally looked under the and here is the problem It is the muffler (look at link) Right where the pipe and muffler join with bolts looks fine just after is a rotted section(in red) . It is not hanging so is safe. I think I will need a lift to repair this myself. Take a look maybe I can get some helpful tips http://www.digitalart.x10host.com/muffler.png

BM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast