•  

Thread: Idles rough after start

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Idles rough after start

My 2004 idles rough in the mornings and after work, right after I start it. (long periods between starts). I depress the gas pedal a few times and it comes out of it and idles smooth after that. No check engine light, but I'm wondering if this is a start of problem or not to worry about it. Any input will be appreciated...

Thanks
      Check the spark plugs? Clean the throttle body?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by freddingo View Post
      Check the spark plugs? Clean the throttle body?
      Sorry, should have mentioned that...Sprayed the throttle body down with cleaner and replaced plugs when it started acting up...New air cleaner as well..

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      might, slim chance, that its the temp sensor. It might be a IAT or Map issue as well.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      might, slim chance, that its the temp sensor. It might be a IAT or Map issue as well.
      Temp sensor Petrified Rabbit ? Which one ? IAT ? Is that the same as IAC, (Air Idle Control Sensor). I would hate to start buying sensors by process of elimination since I'm not getting any codes..Anyway, it seems to be getting worst since I first posted. Especially this morning when it was in the high forties. It would fire off and die..This happened about 4 times before I could get it to stay running, but like I mentioned before, once it starts and warms up, it will start right up everytime. It's the evenings after work, or in the morning heading for work is when I get the rough starts. I'm wondering if I have an injector thats leaking. Since it sits for awhile before starting, it's flooding the head. It has 68,000 miles. Cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner. Any other suggestions will be appreciated..

Thanks in advance...

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Sounds a bit like the spark is somewhat weaker than it should be, and it's taking the cylinder to heat up a touch to help the combustion. Did you replace with OEM plugs? If not, maybe you might try the OEM. You could also pull them out and check to see if you're getting a good quality spark coming from the coil. Your mileage is relatively low - do you do mainly short trips with little or no higher speeds?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Sounds a bit like the spark is somewhat weaker than it should be, and it's taking the cylinder to heat up a touch to help the combustion. Did you replace with OEM plugs? If not, maybe you might try the OEM. You could also pull them out and check to see if you're getting a good quality spark coming from the coil. Your mileage is relatively low - do you do mainly short trips with little or no higher speeds?
      Thanks for the reply...After alot of research, I put in A/C copper plugs about 5,000 miles ago, along with new plug wires and and a new coil after I was getting that PO700 and P1781 code. My mileage round trip to work is 104 miles. Most highway and some city, I'm averaging around 35/mpg.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Well, your mpg is certainly good, so it sounds like nothing is "way" off. I've seen reports that those plugs need to be changed more often than some others, but still should get much more than 5K. How about the battery - still the original, or has it been replaced? Not very likely to be that, but week batteries are known to cause all sorts of weird electrical things. One other possibility that comes to mind is the IAC. These things can be a PITA to figure out, especially with no codes.

Thanks
      I'd be inclined to agree with rabbit. Coolant temp sensor might be going bad.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      I'd be inclined to agree with rabbit. Coolant temp sensor might be going bad.
      Hey guys, I've looked all over the engine compartment around the head looking for this coolant temp sensor on my 2004 and cannot find it. Don't tell me its on the backside next to the firewall under the intake.