•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello, I'm new, and I have questions...

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Thanks again.

This is the one I was looking at http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...370001503.html
      I don't know why he's selling just after doing the work, I think he just took care of it, it looks like it in the ad anyways. I haven't acted further beyond asking questions here, and browsing ads though because I'm still trying to get rid of at least my Jimmy, and preferably the sunfire too before hand.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by serega12 View Post
      Gotta disagree with you there, Rabbit. If he test drives an 08+ turbocharged model (comes with seriously upgraded FE5 suspension from the factory) he won't like the aveo afterwards.
      Obviously the SS is a "different" car than the standard base line econo box. And I drove an SS i find the aveo more fun because its like a go cart. I can't quite describe the cobalt. For what it is, its not a balanced as say a GTI or something, but is much better than the mitsubishi or neon rt.. I guess with the HP and cost I would prefer an AWD car like wrx or an audi... or even an r32.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      mine is a hatchback. And i want to "Stress" the car has never gotten stuck in snow, quite to contrary with the snow tires i could drive where suv's would get stuck.. but you definitely have to adjust your driving for the rear sway.. typically i found coasting to slow down 10-15 mph helped. Never had it come around or anything. But no matter what, the cars back end feels loose, even when going straight.
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Yes, this is what I find as well, and mine is a sedan. And my personal experience is limited to only what I've had, so maybe there's an all-season radial available which would perform closer to the snow tire that I'm using. One thing that puzzles me just a bit - why did the previous owner change the TB just before putting it on the market? In order to make a better/quicker sale? (which would make sense if he did the work himself for smaller $$). Or was that just a coincidence? And what year Aveo is that one?
      I've got an '09 5-door (hatchback) and I've never gotten stuck in snow (except for one time, briefly, on an un-plowed street with snow over a foot deep), although the original tires are getting worn down now at about 18K - because they are crappy tires. Original tires that come with most new cars are bottom line in quality, never optimal.

The Aveo has a really primitive suspension - it's a cheaply made car. That's why rear rubber suspension bushings wear out and cause annoying problems. Don't expect it to handle like a Corvette, or even a Cadillac. But an Aveo still can be a fun car to drive, despite the cheap design and construction of it.

However, if you put high quality tires on it, it should grip the road better. When it comes to tires on any vehicle, you get what you pay for.

As the old saying goes: "Always buy the best. You'll never be disappointed."

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Thanks for the added input. Definitely not looking for something that handles like a corvette or a caddy, just like my Sunfire.

Oops, that ad has been deleted now, probably missed that car, can keep an eye out for another though.
      Last edited by jim84; 12-10-2012 at 05:56 AM.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      I've got an '09 5-door (hatchback) and I've never gotten stuck in snow (except for one time, briefly, on an un-plowed street with snow over a foot deep), although the original tires are getting worn down now at about 18K - because they are crappy tires. Original tires that come with most new cars are bottom line in quality, never optimal.

The Aveo has a really primitive suspension - it's a cheaply made car. That's why rear rubber suspension bushings wear out and cause annoying problems. Don't expect it to handle like a Corvette, or even a Cadillac. But an Aveo still can be a fun car to drive, despite the cheap design and construction of it.

However, if you put high quality tires on it, it should grip the road better. When it comes to tires on any vehicle, you get what you pay for.

As the old saying goes: "Always buy the best. You'll never be disappointed."
      and THIS is why I kept my Old Car (a 1998 Plymouth Breeze) it has FULLY Independent Suspension (in Fact, I installed a Pair of New Front LCAs before I Accidentally killed the Engine), and has Platform mates that can be had with V6 power (if I can't Fix the Factory 2.0L, I'm gonna get the V6 Powertrain)!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      Obviously the SS is a "different" car than the standard base line econo box. And I drove an SS i find the aveo more fun because its like a go cart. I can't quite describe the cobalt. For what it is, its not a balanced as say a GTI or something, but is much better than the mitsubishi or neon rt.. I guess with the HP and cost I would prefer an AWD car like wrx or an audi... or even an r32.
      Both WRX and Audi in the same year and mileage as the Turbo Cobalt I ended up picking up were easily $8-10K more than the cobalt. I got an 08 with 54K miles, clean title and extended warranty through GM (cost me $50 to transfer it into my name from original owner) and I paid $12K... 08 R32 was at least $18K, with lower miles easily over $20K.. Same story with STI and even higher price tag with Audi.

AWD would have been nice though. On a side note, are you actually considering selling your Aveo for 6K?!
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      If someone would give me $6000 for it, I would sell it. So yes.

I have bought 2 other cars in the past 3 months, and am thinking about a third. But I am building a house too, so if I sell the aveo, I would probably down grade (sort of) to an older audi a4, or something similar until I can get what i am really want, which is the RS4. But the house and spending rules associated now-a-days means i will be limited for a bit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12