•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clock loses a couple minutes a month

Wants moh powah
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Clock loses a couple minutes a month

Has anyone else had (or still have) this problem? How did you fix it if you did? I see a few other threads about the clock but most also include it randomly resetting which is not happening with mine. Mine is just losing 1-3 minutes a month.

My solution has been to add 3 minutes every time I notice that it is slow, but I'd like it to work.

Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Here is how you fix it, about once a month you push the button with the M next to it about 3 times.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by wylee View Post
      Has anyone else had (or still have) this problem? How did you fix it if you did? I see a few other threads about the clock but most also include it randomly resetting which is not happening with mine. Mine is just losing 1-3 minutes a month.

My solution has been to add 3 minutes every time I notice that it is slow, but I'd like it to work.
      That seems to suggest that the clock circuit design is just cheap and inaccurate.

I'm still having the problem of mine resetting itself sporadically. I intend to take it into the dealer before the warranty runs out. Virtually nothing else has gone wrong with the car in 2 1/2 years, so I hope it's not a bad omen.

Wants moh powah
      Thanks

I'm still a novice GM owner...I'm sure I'll learn to accept these things with more experience.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      The only way to fix it is to replace it. My clock has preformed perfectly since I bought the car in 2007. The problem is the crystal on the clock board. If it's bad, or out of calibration, you are going to loose or gain time. If it's warranty, replace it.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by wylee View Post

Wylee,
      If you would like me to make an appointment at your local dealer to get this issue taken care of, just let me know.
      Breanne
      Chevrolet Customer Service

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Svc View Post
      Wylee,
      If you would like me to make an appointment at your local dealer to get this issue taken care of, just let me know.
      Breanne
      Chevrolet Customer Service
      wylee if you dont have a phone or cant figure out how to call your dealer to make an appointment i also could call for you in case breanne is busy that day!but i will be honest with you unlike breanne, it may cost you a small fee(to be determined by dealer)probly only 90.00 diagnostic fee if this issue is not covered by warranty.you must pay this fee before we release the vehicle back to you wether you authorize the repaire or not.again thanks breanne for the helpful generic response

What's wrong with my car? jamelar's Avatar
      Thanks
      I've never done anything with the dash clock on an Aveo, but I have synchronized 12 volt automotive clocks.
      The ones I've seen will have a tiny variable capacitor. You would need a pin out of the main clock integrated circuit or timer circuit to find the timer clock pulse, then using an oscilloscope set to line sync, to compare to the 60 cycle (highly accurate) from the power company. Adjust the capacitor with a non-metallic tool until the two signals are steady with each other.

I realize this is far beyond what most readers here would be prepared to do, but that's how I've done it.

Of course, the other way is to adjust the variable capacitor ever so slightly and check the clock in a month, readjust accordingly. As to weather you turn the capacitor CW or CCW, that's a 50/50 chance game.

Or replace it. Or live with it.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jamelar View Post
      You would need a pin out of the main clock integrated circuit or timer circuit to find the timer clock pulse, then using an oscilloscope set to line sync, to compare to the 60 cycle (highly accurate) from the power company. Adjust the capacitor with a non-metallic tool until the two signals are steady with each other.

LOL. I guess you took an electronics class or something. Yeah, I have an oscilloscope in my back pocket. And are you sure you want to adjust the cap? More than likely it is the R1 or R2 value that is controlling the pulse frequency. or just replace the 555 timer chip?

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jamelar View Post
      The ones I've seen will have a tiny variable capacitor. You would need a pin out of the main clock integrated circuit or timer circuit to find the timer clock pulse, then using an oscilloscope set to line sync, to compare to the 60 cycle (highly accurate) from the power company. Adjust the capacitor with a non-metallic tool until the two signals are steady with each other.

I realize this is far beyond what most readers here would be prepared to do, but that's how I've done it.

Of course, the other way is to adjust the variable capacitor ever so slightly and check the clock in a month, readjust accordingly. As to weather you turn the capacitor CW or CCW, that's a 50/50 chance game.

Or replace it. Or live with it.
      Old school design with 555 timer chip and R/C circuit. Your right about the power company having a good steady signal. I write software for electrical meters and we can use our internal crystal (drifts) or the power company. Most of the time we synch with the power company.

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast