•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The dreaded timing belt issue

2005 best in class
      Thanks

The dreaded timing belt issue

Hi folks I'm a chevy man but of the V8 class. I bought my 2005 chevy aveo as a leftover in 2006 for around town driving. I just turned 100000 the other day and commented to my wife what a reliable little car it has been. Next day I'm driving and BAM the car just dies and it made some grinding noises. Well I tore the cover off thinking the belt had broken(I replaced it at 60k like I was supposed to)well the belt didn't break it was the cheap plastic pulleys the belt rides on.Has this happened to anyone else?? I am now taking the head off but being a V8 guy this engine is a little foreign to me. I have the Chiltons manual but they just tell you what to take apart they don't mention where its located or show much in the way of diagrams. Does anyone know of any info, pics, etc... that would help me? Thanks Jeff

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      you come to the right place lots of timing belt help here.www.aveoforum.com/.../timing-belt-change-2006-aveo-ls-my-new-detailed- write-up-10284/ this is1 you can type timing belt in the search menu to find more help.is your chiltons man specificaslly for the aveo, can you post a pic of the cover with part # if so? just dont have any from around here.thanks

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Did you only change the belt or all of the pulleys as well (the aveo timing belt kits include all of the pulleys and such). Not changing the pulley is like not changing the water pump, no point in just changing the belt if nothing else

When I changed my stock one at 56k miles, the belt looked new, but it looked like the one pulley was possibly coming apart slowly, though the pulleys were getting replaced regardless.

Thanks
      sorry that link didnt work may be this 1 will http://www.zubinchandran.com/timing_belt_change.html

2005 best in class
      Thanks

Thanks!!

Thanks for the tutorial charlieb and to thehunterooo no of course I didn't replace the pulleys I'm used to metal in the V8's and the chevy dealer didn't bother to mention it. I feel foolish should have caught that one. Has anyone ever thrown a belt and not had major engine damage??? I just got done pulling the exhast manifold off and I'll start the Intake tommorrow. Have to locate new head bolts for this engine also!!

Thanks
      i cant take credit for the write up i was just leading you in the right direction.as for damage it is almost always certain.if engine is at idle when belt brakes thats 600 rpm with an interferance engine like the 1.6 piston will strike valve and bend it.i think you might only be lucky if it broke after sitting and you tried to start it when belt broke.maybe

2005 best in class
      Thanks
      Well charlie I kinda figured that was the case. It was probably around 3500 rpm and pulling hard up a hill so I won't be surprized by whats in therelots of and holes too... oh well it'll be good to get my hands into a rice burner for a change. Good experience and all. Wonder if these engines can be bored out at all Hmmm!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      there is a 50-50 chance for damage, usually another head is all that is needed (or a valve job, whatever is cheaper), lower block damage is rare, just make sure you get the kit this time (and you will be good for another 60k miles )

2005 best in class
      Thanks
      Well folks here's the latest when I got done pulling the exhast manifold I notice some thing in my catalytic converter but didn't really look at it too close till today. found quite a few chunks of metal. Wondering if its piston material. Can't wait to get the intake side off and open her up tommorow. well thehunterooo looks like my luck wasn't on the right 50 side!!!

2005 best in class
      Thanks
      Hi Drivers,
      Her's the latest on the 05. Finished tearing the head off today. Drum roll please.............. AAAAAAAAGGHHHHH!! piston number three has a hole the sizeof a silver dollar init and the other three have the imprints of the valves very well defined in each. The head is probably a total loss and I'm gonna take the bottom end to my local speed shop to see if it can be saved. Not a good day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast