•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clock loses a couple minutes a month

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jamelar View Post
      I've never done anything with the dash clock on an Aveo, but I have synchronized 12 volt automotive clocks.
      The ones I've seen will have a tiny variable capacitor. You would need a pin out of the main clock integrated circuit or timer circuit to find the timer clock pulse, then using an oscilloscope set to line sync, to compare to the 60 cycle (highly accurate) from the power company. Adjust the capacitor with a non-metallic tool until the two signals are steady with each other.

I realize this is far beyond what most readers here would be prepared to do, but that's how I've done it.

Of course, the other way is to adjust the variable capacitor ever so slightly and check the clock in a month, readjust accordingly. As to weather you turn the capacitor CW or CCW, that's a 50/50 chance game.

Or replace it. Or live with it.
      will you come make the clock on my stove match the clock on my microwave? :P

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by charlieb View Post
      wylee if you dont have a phone or cant figure out how to call your dealer to make an appointment i also could call for you in case breanne is busy that day!but i will be honest with you unlike breanne, it may cost you a small fee(to be determined by dealer)probly only 90.00 diagnostic fee if this issue is not covered by warranty.you must pay this fee before we release the vehicle back to you wether you authorize the repaire or not.again thanks breanne for the helpful generic response
      Haha, yeah I think this is probably a $200+ fix at the dealer....and I'm not very confident that it would be fixed with the first replacement.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamelar View Post
      Of course, the other way is to adjust the variable capacitor ever so slightly and check the clock in a month, readjust accordingly. As to weather you turn the capacitor CW or CCW, that's a 50/50 chance game.
      This is the kind of info I had hoped for. I will probably pull the clock out and see if I can find the adjustment...worst case if I break mine, I'll have to pick up another inaccurate clock from the boneyard.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

2005 best in class
      Thanks
      We should all get together second sunday of next week for a big group syncronizing of every aveo clock whata ya say. Really though mine loses about a minute every couple of months just reset it. Unless you happen to have OCD problems

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      maybe all his other clocks are just fast?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      maybe all his other clocks are just fast?
      I was thinking that too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12