•  

Thread: Aveo Towing Capacity?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Aveo Towing Capacity?

Hi all,

I'm moving across the country (Michigan to Colorado) in about a month and I'm trying to figure out the most economical way to move my stuff with my 2008 Aveo5 Hatchback.

Basically, I don't have a ton of stuff to move, and all my furniture is collapsible (futon, bed frame, etc...) so I can fit everything in a trailer like this: U-Haul: Equipment specs

I'm wondering: is it feasible to install a trailer hitch on my Aveo to tow this trailer across the country?

The total load (including trailer and cargo) will be under 2000 pounds.Here's the hitch I'm looking at: Curt Hitch - 1300+ Reviews on Curt Receiver Hitches + Free Shipping & Video Install Guide - Class I, II, III, IV & V Colored Hitches

What do you think? Am I completely delusional, here, or is something like this actually a possibility for an Aveo?

Thanks
      I used to work at Uhaul and your car should have no problem pulling the smallest trailer they have. U-haul also does hitch installs and they guarantee their work. Installing a hitch on your aveo requires drilling so I would let them do it. It can be a pain the butt.

Thanks
      Awesome! Thanks!

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures. I wouldn't consider towing more than 1000lbs with my Aveo unless I had absolutely no other options. I'd be comfortable towing 800lbs, but towing a trailer approaching a gvw of 2000lbs would be foolish IMO. I have also worked at U-Haul (about 10 years ago) and can say they will never touch one of my vehicles.

You may want to look at the little trailers at Tractor Supply. The price might be about the same as the Uhaul rental and the trailer would be a bunch lighter...but it would also be open and reqire you to tarp the load.

Disclaimer: I have not towed with my Aveo yet. I have towed several different utility trailers with small cars.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

Thanks
      Our Aveo has a hitch on it, and holds 2 bikes and a rack great - that's about 90 lb of weight.

90 lb tongue weight is about equivalent to a 900 lb trailer, vehicle-loading wise at least. I have not actually towed with it, so I can't comment on the short wheelbase vs. trailer sway but my Jeep is about the same length and tows a small cart just fine.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      another member posted a thread about this once:

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f103/towing-aveo-10236/

What do you mean there's no turbo? gclark8's Avatar
      Thanks
      Check the manual! Towing is forbidden for my 2011 Barina!!
      no image

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Eff the manual. I'm not much for "by the book" stuff. lol I prefer to do what works for me. What the OP is proposing wouldn't "work" for me, but I can understand why he might go with it and hope for the best.

Last edited by wylee; 11-25-2011 at 10:15 AM.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.