•  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Aveo LT Catalytic Converter

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by kcROB View Post
      Is this the one, remover/installer? https://www.ebay.com/itm/22322378779...mis&media=COPY
      Yes. It does both removal and installation

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Tried this 3 times to post and got deleted trying to edit

You also will need a ball joint press can be borrowed from auto zone also when removing the hud some times the race will stick to the hub and come out of the bearing this is more tricky to get off have to grind a groove in the race and crack it to remove and not damage the hub to much

On my car when I got it with 45,000 on it flushed the engine oil a couple of times with marvel mystery in the oil and did several tramission changes as both were overly dark and some sludge was in the motor
      Then did all coolant hoses, timing belt, tensioner, water pump and timing belt all gates and thermostant stant super stant, and coolant used prestone serpentine belt gates green fleet runner and gates tensioner after that replaced all at around 120,000 to 160,000 depending on how I felt I a powersports mechanic and hate working on my own things cause I do it everyday and that's about 3-5 years only replace all the hoses once, did 2 sets of plug wires used bosch, timing cover gasket about every 1 1/2 years as would start to leak and damage the spark plug boots, all wheel bearing rear once but I was able to take them apart an put in Neo synthetic grease, front wheel bearings twice I had to replace trans at 380,000 and found a loose one but was not noisy, alternator at around 250,000 bearings went out and locked up bought on if ebay with 45,000 on it for 50.00 replaced the starter once but was not bad hard cranking over around 300,000 turned out to be battery I took it apart and was in excellent shape grease was a little dry but brushes had very little wear got the replacement starter with the alternator took it apart and cleaned and lubed, alternator I did not It way to hard to service, coolant resevoir and air filter housing, air cleaner hose to throttle body, throttle body once under waranty spark plugs once a year
      about all I rember now

So it's better to do preventive maintenance befor a failure

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sjcleckley1 For This Useful Post:

kcROB (08-20-2023)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Now I rember the Cat once pluged up at 400,000 and O2 sensors oncexwith bosch

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Eg.h2o My thanks to your daughter for her desire to serve our great country! I did the same in 1965 (U.S.A.F.) but w/o the approval of some elements in our country at that time. Three years ago I sold my 2008 Ram "Big Horn" with manual 6 spd 4x4 w/18K miles essentially for the same reason you sold your '21 Jeep.....15-19mpg, a hog-bear to park in urban areas, a harsh ride, rarely driven. Your intel dump that Spark wheels ,being 100mm x4 is a piece of gold! I see salvage Sparks all the time...w/wheels.Time to upgrade for the right price on a set. Your resto project speaks well for your skill and attention to detail.

Thanks
      sjciekley1 Being skilled and doing the work yourself with savvy short cuts save your '08 from the crusher-shredder. Gotta think of all the Aveos, gen1 &2, with pristine sheet metal that could have been put back on the road with a reasonable amount of work.Good to hear you rebuilt your own starter. As teenagers we always had starter problems and ended up taking them apart to fix. I also have had problems posting. I log in again, go back and hit the 'restore' button and my message come up ready to post.Anything you typed after the auto save prompt, will likely not appear.
      Last edited by kcROB; 08-20-2023 at 04:46 PM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      As a kid my passion was taking things appart that i could get appart and had had access to them radios car parts toysand remotes vacuum an thing was broke and studying them at least had some access to a few tools not a lot my gringer was a file and hack saw my chisel was a flat bladed screw driver used that to get into a vacuum cleaner that died had think clutch or figure 8 screws my main thrill was going to the dump or going through a junk pile for things and dissamble then puting them later on putting them back together and then fixing them and making improvements better grease or parts,
      The aveo starter had a bearing that was swedged or housing bore was folded over on the bearing an would have to find parts, my nissan starter all the parts were avaliable from nissan and for the alternator also
      Starters last a long time now days you do not have to crank a lot on fuel injection vehicles but with carburetors you did and the got a lot hoter doing that especialy if hard to start or maintainace was not keep up

Thanks
      sjcleckley1 Your message has a familiar tone with me. "my main thrill was going back to the dump or going thru a junk pile for things...."absolutely what I did...AND still do. Growing up in the early-mid '50's, there was a field down the street with what I now beleive where three lat 30s Chevrolet sedans on their side, one on its top..abandoned. I removed all kinds of parts and converted one into a fort/clubhouse.Even today, when I see a 'junk' Aveo, I see only good parts, nice interior, straight body panels, etc. I know, sadly, that a motor + installation would be more than the worth of the Aveo. I have set aside parts since I bougth my 2011 in Nov '13 parts such as a pair of nearly mint taillites, and a pair of very good headlamps, gas cap door, fuses, extra set of sun visors/with mirrors. I still can't go to the local recycling facility w/o bring back metal items that can be used for projects.Even tho Father Time has taking away my ability to do heavy mechanical work, I still am able to keep up basic maintenance of my Aveo....with pride!
      Last edited by kcROB; 08-22-2023 at 12:00 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kcROB For This Useful Post:

Eg.h2o (08-22-2023)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Same hear my body going it's hard for me to let some one else work on my stuff As I have certain ways I want things done so I will have to do it again for a long time
      Since you have a 2011 one thing all my motor wire sensors solenoid conector wires the insulation started cracking letting the copper wires show through I live in the desert so it's hot so what I did was put some 3M rightstuff sealant on them to conector and the corrugated covers started to crack off I used some I think tesa tape it's a woven cloth like but ways tough to rewrap the wires

Thanks
      I am the same way with my Aveo oil change. I can't bear the thought of letting someone else do the job such as let it drain five minutes and fill with house brand oil. I let it drain, on the ramps, for 24 hours, blow out the oil pan by inserting my air hose nozzle into the dip stick tube and blast repeatedly until nothing blows out the drain hole. I use ONLY WIX oil filter #57674 + (5) quarts of Mobil 5-30. There is no shop I know of that will be that thorough. I see no degradation of my wiring but I will keep an eye on it.Thnx for the heads up. Several years ago I drove "Sir Passed A Lot" to AZ. Came back thru the Rockies on I-70. With my (5) speed, it was a blast to upshift/downshift with declines and inclines of the Rockies. Too much fun for an old guy! Be well!
      Last edited by kcROB; 08-22-2023 at 06:48 PM.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by kcROB View Post
      Zcarmaniac...well said "I still like the car!" From reading your June 25th post, we are both are 'blessed' with a 2011 Aveo (mine is a notchback (sedan) with very similar miles...at this date with 73482 miles.My question is, what symptom (s) lead you to diagnose necessary replacement of front wheel bearings? I have had a rotational noise for several (K) miles, but not sure as to cause? Also, if I may ask, what did the 'cheap' wheel bearing replacement cost? To sell or not to sell....hate to part with my (5) speed. Thank you. Robert Reynolds, Kansas City, MO. 64030
      @kcROB, the wheel bearing issue was pretty easy to detect, we just put it on a friends lift and spun the wheels, it was freaking bad. The wheel bearing replacement, with the upgraded bearings, was about 450.00. My Aveo is an automatic LT White Notchback.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zcarmaniac For This Useful Post:

kcROB (12-07-2023)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast