•  

Thread: 2011 Aveo low tire pressure on even in warm weather

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2011 Aveo low tire pressure on even in warm weather

My low tire pressure notification comes on which is expected in the dead of winter. However, it's the middle of summer here in the midwest. I went out at 7 a.m. this morning and the temp was already 85. AND THE LOW TIRE PRESSURE NOTIFICATION IS ON! I know from past experience this spring and early summer this notification will turn off on its own later in the day.

But do I need to be concerned about this? Is there something that simply needs to be reset?

Thank you!

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ronna View Post
      My low tire pressure notification comes on which is expected in the dead of winter.
      No. No it’s not.
      If you maintain proper tire pressure year round, and the tpms system has been maintained then you should not have this issue.

Thanks
      What steps need to be taken to maintain the TPMS system?

I did stop by Goodyear this morning and the tire pressure in all 4 tires was low. They did tell me that cool temperatures will decrease the pressure and warmer temps will cause the pressure to go back up but I was due for an oil change anyway so stopped in. I typically get an oil change twice a year and the tires get rotated at that time as well but I have no clue what would be involved to maintain the TPMS system and this is the first time I've heard of it to be honest.

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      There are sensors in the wheels that have batteries sealed in them. When you get new tires, it’s probably a good time to have the sensors replaces because when the battery goes dead, the car can’t read the sensor and the silly light comes on.
      as far as the tire pressure in the tires, what the guy said is correct, but it’s only half of what you need to know. As a vehicle owner, the tire pressure should be manually checked monthly, and air added as needed. (Most people don’t do this, but should). That way you have a better knowledge of your tire pressure.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eg.h2o For This Useful Post:

ronna (07-27-2023)

Thanks
      Thank you for that information. I've had this Aveo since I bought it new back in 2011 and as I mentioned, this is the first I've heard of this!! I will be going back to Goodyear tomorrow morning to have a belt replaced (my car has been squeaking on damp mornings for about 20 seconds) so I'll ask them about the sensors then.

And, I'll add checking my tires each month along with (1) using a new toothbrush, (2) changing the filter on the AC/heater to the house and (3) flushing a septic tank doohickey. lol. Adulting is hard!

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Just FYI, the sensors are not inexpensive, and require removing the tire from the rim to install. That’s why I’ll recommend that if you do them, to do them when getting new tires.

Thanks
      Yes, I asked Goodyear about this today. I purchased new tires about a year or so ago. I will keep an eye on the tire pressure for sure and keep an eye on the indicator. When I get new tires, I will be getting the sensors ($65 each). Goodyear suggested I wait for new tires to avoid the $30 each labor charge! So, that's the plan.

Thank you again for your assistance.