•  

Thread: No cold air

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

No cold air

My aveo 5 ac system shows 100psi in the low line and 100 psi in the high line when the engine is off. When I cranked up the engine and turned ac to max, the low line showed 65psi and the high line showed 150psi. The compressor clutch kicks on and runs but no cold air. The outside temperature is 90 F. The temperature in the vents while the ac is running is 85F. Any help would be appreciated.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by roberco View Post
      My aveo 5 ac system shows 100psi in the low line and 100 psi in the high line when the engine is off. When I cranked up the engine and turned ac to max, the low line showed 65psi and the high line showed 150psi. The compressor clutch kicks on and runs but no cold air. The outside temperature is 90 F. The temperature in the vents while the ac is running is 85F. Any help would be appreciated.
      Something is definitely not right; your low side is too high (it should be 45psi at minimum ) and your high side is waaaaay too low (it should be 250psi at minimum) does the compressor cycle on and off, or does it click on and stay on? is there anything blocking the condenser (leaves, road grime, foreign debris etc.)? How is the airflow from the vents? (Little airflow would indicate an iced up evaporator, or a dirty cabin filter) was there any work done to the refrigerant system recently? (It Maybe over or undercharged.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
      [QUOTE=2010AveoLT;206944]Something is definitely not right; your low side is too high (it should be 45psi at minimum ) and your high side is waaaaay too low (it should be 250psi at minimum) does the compressor cycle on and off, or does it click on and stay on? is there anything blocking the condenser (leaves, road grime, foreign debris etc.)? How is the airflow from the vents? (Little airflow would indicate an iced up evaporator, or a dirty cabin filter) was there any work done to the refrigerant system recently? (It Maybe over or undercharged.)

The compressor kicks on and stays on. Airflow from the vents is strong. I did over charge it last year. But that's about it. It's been running and kicking out cold air fine until yesterday. No work has ever been done on the system. I was thinking that the expansion value could be at fault. The expansion value might be opening too large and causing the high pressure to leak into the low line. This would cause a reduction on the high pressure line and an increase pressure on the low line.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      [QUOTE=roberco;206949]
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      Something is definitely not right; your low side is too high (it should be 45psi at minimum ) and your high side is waaaaay too low (it should be 250psi at minimum) does the compressor cycle on and off, or does it click on and stay on? is there anything blocking the condenser (leaves, road grime, foreign debris etc.)? How is the airflow from the vents? (Little airflow would indicate an iced up evaporator, or a dirty cabin filter) was there any work done to the refrigerant system recently? (It Maybe over or undercharged.)

The compressor kicks on and stays on. Airflow from the vents is strong. I did over charge it last year. But that's about it. It's been running and kicking out cold air fine until yesterday. No work has ever been done on the system. I was thinking that the expansion value could be at fault. The expansion value might be opening too large and causing the high pressure to leak into the low line. This would cause a reduction on the high pressure line and an increase pressure on the low line.
      I had to replace my condenser from damage, I caused, and I overcharged the system a little; if I leave my A/C on long enough, the evaporator will freeze up and will stop blowing cold air; the only solution that I could work with (without having to reopen my system to put a proper charge on it) was turning the A/C off and letting the evaporator defrost itself.

Thanks
      I just replaced a new expansion valve. I did vacuum the system completely and recharge it with 24 ounces of 130a. The ac is not cooling. The low-side pressure is 115psi and the high-side pressure is 115psi when the compressor is not running. When the compressor is running, the low-side is 85psi and the high-side stays at 115psi. The high and low sides pressures stays the same at 115psi and 85 psi, respectively even when I rev'ed up the engine to 2500 rpm. The low-side line feels warm, not cool at all. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
      Last edited by roberco; 06-23-2018 at 11:44 PM.

Hey
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post

You mentioned 45psi on the low side at the minimum. is this accurate?

Hey
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by roberco View Post
      I just replaced a new expansion valve. I did vacuum the system completely and recharge it with 24 ounces of 130a. The ac is not cooling. The low-side pressure is 115psi and the high-side pressure is 115psi when the compressor is not running. When the compressor is running, the low-side is 85psi and the high-side stays at 115psi. The high and low sides pressures stays the same at 115psi and 85 psi, respectively even when I rev'ed up the engine to 2500 rpm. The low-side line feels warm, not cool at all. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
      did you ever get this problem resolved?