•  

Thread: Tired of expense changing timing belt

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Tired of expense changing timing belt

I am within 5,000 miles of having my timing belt replaced. I just did this about a year and a half ago. My Aveo is an 08'. Why can't some manufacturer come up with a belt like the 09' uses and lasts 100,000?

Since I had them replace the water pump last time think I'll need to change that again?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      your doing some serious mileage...

The timing belt interval has more than just the belt to determine the life. The two aveo engines probably use the "same" type of belt in composition. ITs how many pulleys, the tension, etc that determine the life expectancy.

Water pump should be fine imho, but you know the use, wear, and history of the car.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      three years ago 40K now 115K.
      Replaced timing belt, water pump, radiator coolant, lower control arms and a battery.
      Radiator now leaking. I am faced with $600 in upcoming repairs I wonder if its time to trade her or sell her with known problems. My friend whose a dealer sold me the car for $7000 three years ago and now tells me its worth $%2,200 on a trade. I don't think my original purchase price was fair probably 2K too high.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Well if I were you, I wouldn't look to sell it until gas prices go back up. And if the dealer will fix all of that for $600, I'd say you're gettin a deal, honestly.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      3 years ago, $7000 for an 08, that would have been 2012, and a 4-5 year old car. $7000 was high, especially with a major design change in the model next year. But thats a mute point.

IMHO, if all your car has cost you an average of $600 a year even, that is cheap for car ownership. Having owned many cars, I think that is a steal. If the car is still reliable, "enjoyable" and safe. $600 for another year and 60k miles is worth it. Even if next year its another $600,

I've paid more than $600 yearly for regular routine maintenance on a lot of cars. Heck I've paid more for breakdown issues on more expensive/"better" cars yearly.

Currently, my truck cost almost $70 for an oil change (doing it myself). The dealership want to charge $125, and throws in a "free" tire rotation. Thats twice a year. They recommend doing the rear diff oil and air filters (yes with an s, intake, cabin, and fart filter in the seat) every year, with inspection and emission cost over $700. with the other oil change that is almost $850 a year in just maintenance, without the add on fees and taxes, if you go to the dealer. Add that in pa they charge $150 for the registration on this monster, it's $1000 a year just to own and maintain the thing. That doesn't cover anything else, like the failing exhaust manifold gaskets every 50-75k. At a dealership charged $600, if you have them do it. (I put headers in, $$$ but the problem went away).

I'm not ranting, just giving you an example. My aveo, is $60 a year for 2 oil changes, and $15 on spark plugs ever year. Then fix what breaks. Which honestly has been a set of brakes, an o2 sensor and a battery. There was also one trip to the dealership that was not under warranty for about $200 that was a no start on my car i concluded to be the ECU.. The rest of the issues under warranty were the other o2, the fuel pump and coil pack seal thing recall.

So imho, if you think ditching the car for $600 maintenance makes sense. I think you will be paying more in the long run anyhow. Even if you don't calculate the loss on the aveo you will take.