•  

Thread: Another timing belt thread...

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Smile Another timing belt thread...

Hello,
      My name is Joe and I am new to this forum. I just got a 2005 Aveo for my daughter and it is time for a timing belt (180,000 miles).
      I was shopping around and I found a kit on ebay including the water pump for $48.00 with free shipping. Has anyone used the "Car Parts Wiz" kit? I'm not looking for the least expensive part, but I am compelled to give them a try. I have never replaced a timing belt but the instructions and feedback from this post have made me consider replacing it myself. The repair shops in Massachusetts charge CRAZY prices for a job like this and I may just give it a go. Rock Auto is my second choice and they have many "kits" available. It seems hard to tell quality though...

This kit on ebay includes the belt, idler parts, water pump and all seals. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this one. Apparently he has sold 345 of them...

Timing Belt Water Pump Kit Fits 04 08 Chevy Aveo 1 6L DOHC 16V Vin 6 | eBay

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Thanks for making yet an other thread. That way we can keep this conversation to you! You know that's not a bad deal and the parts look good.

1) you will have to remove the cam shaft pulleys to get that stupid plastic moved out so you can install the pump.
      2) One of the other members just recently posted a picture using zip ties to hold cams in place while you make the change.
      3) The hardest thing for me was to break the nuts holding the cam pulleys. Maybe there is a tool for that. I found something on ebay that might work: Dual Cam Clamp Camshaft Timing Sprocket Gear Locking Tool Universal with 4 Locks | eBay
      4) You don't need a tool to adjust the belt tension, channel locks work fine.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      The timing belt kit looks like a good deal. I would consider it. If you receive the parts and anything looks off or bad. Then return it, file with paypal if necessary... IT says 60 day warranty. So I would give it a shot. I have noticed lately that the failure rate of heap eBay parts is about the same as the more expensive in store parts lately.