•  

Thread: Seatbelt trouble!

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Seatbelt trouble!

Okay here is my problem.. might be a bit lengthy and i apologize.. Okay, about a month ago my driver side back seat, seat belt got stuff.. at one point it would only come down just about 7 inches but not all the way down flat.. then one day i stuck a screw driver down in where the seat belt retracts and it ended up coming all the way down and the belt was not damaged from the screw driver or being stuck.. Well today i went outside to try and get it to go back in so i removed the back panel and everything and i could manually retract the belt and i could see the teeth moving and then when I went to pull the belt out it would just lock.. its like child safety lock is permanently on, does anyone have any idea whats going on or know how to fix this? Thanks everyone

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      is the belt all the way against the seat? when you manually retracted the belt, did you hear any soft clicking? (I tested my seat belts, and there was a soft click when the locking mechanism disengaged.)

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i can't remember exactly, but for child/baby carriers, I think if you pull it all the way out, it will lock slowly as it goes back in.. (clicking tighter, until it goes all the way in and won't come loose until it goes all the way in). Whether you accidentally set that, or set it when you stuck the screw driver in there I do not know. But as a safety item you should be able to see the internal lock on the gear. compare it with the other side?

Thanks
      It is not all the ay against the seat, some of it is laying limp in the seat, and when i retracted it manually I didnt hear anything. SO maybe if i manually rewind the belt it might work? Thanks for the help! keep it coming anything helps /:

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      I've looked further into your issue, and I found a TSB that might help explain things.

# 05-09-40-002G: Safety Belt Locking Conditions (Normal Operating Characteristics) - (Jun 18, 2013)
      Subject:
      Safety Belt Locking Conditions (Normal Operating Characteristic) Models: 2005-2014 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks This bulletin has been revised to add the 2013-2014 model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-09-40-002F.
      The purpose of this bulletin is to explain when the safety belts are supposed to lock. There are several different locking situations for both front and rear safety belts.
      Overspool Lock
      There is an unintentional locking condition that ALL safety belts from ALL manufacturers may experience called "overspool lock." If the webbing snaps back to the stowed position rapidly enough, the retractor will lock with the belt fully stowed. This is more likely to occur when customers "help" the belt to retract. Without the weight of the latch plate and friction to slow the retractive speed of the webbing, the higher than normal webbing retraction speed that occurs engages the locking mechanism when a sudden stop occurs at the end of web travel. Since the webbing is now fully loaded on the spool, the retractor cannot rewind itself further to release the locking mechanism. When this happens, the occupant cannot extract the belt to wear it. DO NOT replace the retractor for this condition until first attempting to disengage the locking mechanism by following the recommendation listed below.
      Recommendation
      Pull hard on the locked webbing and then release. The hard pull extracts a small amount of webbing from the retractor which, in turn, permits a small amount of retraction to occur when released. This is all that is needed to disengage the locking mechanism. The safety belt will now function properly.
      Vehicle Sensing
      This type of locking occurs in response to the vehicle under the following conditions:

- The vehicle changes speed or direction abruptly (the vehicle goes into rapid acceleration OR rapid deceleration or there is aggressive cornering).
      - It can also occur in a static condition when a vehicle is parked on a large slant (fore-aft or side-to-side), such as streets in San Francisco, California.
      - It may also occur over rough road conditions where the retractor mechanism is bounced into a locked condition.

In all of these conditions, as long as tension is maintained on the webbing, the belt will stay locked. When the tension is released, the belt retracts slightly, the lock bar disengages and the safety belt should return to normal function. Please inform customers that may comment that "the belt locks intermittently" that this is the design intent and the belt is functioning properly.
      Web Sensing
      This type of locking occurs in response to the extraction of webbing. When the webbing reels out at an accelerated rate, it goes into lock mode and stays there until tension is again released. To observe this condition, extract the webbing quickly. Customers may refer to this condition as "intermittent lock-up" and encounter it when trying to put the belt on too quickly.
      Automatic Locking (ALR)
      When the webbing is pulled all the way out, it automatically converts the retractor into a cinch-down mode (i.e. ALR). This is typically used to tightly secure a child seat to the vehicle. Some customers may experience inadvertent activation of ALR mode if they happen to pull the belt all the way out to the end of travel while they are putting the belt on. The ALR mode of operation is automatically cancelled when the belt is unfastened and stowed (the belt returns to normal sensitive function).
      The ALR locking mode is also provided at the driver's position of the Corvette only, as a unique feature. Corvette customers may find this feature appealing when they plan to operate the vehicle in a "spirited" manner (such as driving in mountainous terrain). With the ALR active, the operator is snugly cinched into the seat and kept firmly in place during high G-force driving maneuvers.

Thanks
      I got it fixed. It was stuck in child safety lock and took the back panel off to reveal the seatbelt assembly and just manually retracted it and it became free! All fixed now!