•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil pressure test

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Re: Oil pressure test

Other than the slight vacume leak from my one injector, its smooth as a babys bottom. And I have more than enough oil in her, so thats covered. I triple checked it yesterday at work here.

So heres the kicker: I drove it home, about a 30 minute trip, with 20 minutes at hwy speeds. It NEVER CAME BACK ON! I was like WTF? So I was a little nervous about driving it to work this morning, but again, another 30 minutes of driving and not one little flicker. I am very confused. The only thing I did yesterday while it was sitting here at work was take the oil cap off the top of the valve covers and checked the oil level on the dipstick. I wont complain though. I will be watching my car very closely for the next few weeks. Hopefully the problem has worked itself out.

You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

My more than enough do you mean you have exceeded 4quarts... having too much oil in your crank case could cause many problems. It is possible, that the cap was loose or screwed all cockeyed which could cause the issue. just a thought
      07 Aveo LS 5/speed Manual

Thanks

I think it may only have a little more than 4 qts of oil but not enough to mess it up. I did that once to a honda civic I owned, the motor ran like a turd til I got about a 1/2 qt drained out.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Glad to hear it all worked out for you. It is possible that the oil cap or dipstick wasn't seated properly causing a vacuum leak.
      2008 Chevrolet Aveo LS sedan - 13,230 miles
      2008 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4.0L V6 - 34,920 miles
      2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2L I6- 95,870 miles

Thanks

Hmmm, maybe, but I dont think so... Im pretty sure all that was tight but there is the possibility. I still plan to change my oil very soon tho, just to be sure to cover my bases. Thanks for the support.

Thanks

Update:

From my thread in Daewootech.com.

ME:Well I just got back from WI and we didnt take my car, it sat all weekend at my work. Interesting update though:

My gf dropped me off last night to pick up my car and it started fine and drove like a champ home. No CELs and no Oil Pressure lights. This morning on the way to work, I came to a stop at a stopsign after being up on the hwy at around 70 mph, with it hitting a top speed of 85 (I was running late). After I stopped, the light flickered for a few seconds, went off, flickered again for a few seconds, then went back off and didnt come back on. Any thoughts? I wont be able to change the oil at all this week as I have to work 80 hours this week and simply wont have time.

Daewoomofo: sounds like your oil is actually low, are you sure you dont have a leak?

ME: Ill go check again, pretty sure I dont though.

edit:

I went to my car while on patrol at work to check it out. The car has been sitting since 7 AM and hasnt been started at all. I checked my oil level, I am on the upper end between MIN and MAX. I started the car and let it idle for a couple of minutes, spiked the gas pedal a few times, and then used my hood prop pressed against the gas pedal to hold the RPMs at just over 3200 RPMs. Looked under car for a minute, no oil dripping. Moved car, no oil spots on pavement.

Confused.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Sounds like the oil pump just border line doesn't have enough psi at idle. Might be a seal or gasket on it that leaks.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks

Is this an easy fix? I also want to see if just changing the oil will help at all. Drove to work this morning an no light. I hope this isnt too serious of an issue as I am considering going to Milwaukee this weekend, there is a shop doing Dyno runs and I want to get my car up on one. 35$ for 3 runs, will be doing some tuning with the neo while im there, if I can go.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Sometimes an oil change will fix it. Read online about running too thin of an oil can cause this at operating temperature. What oil have you been using? Try 10w30 oil next time around. Are you due for an oil change?

Did you check the wires and terminals at the oil pressure switch for corrosion? How is the engine temperature? Is it running hotter than before?
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks

All is good on the wire and connector, and the temp is around where it should be on the guage. I havent checked though with my scanner. Hell, I even forget what my avg operating temp is normally. And the oil in there was just put in. Someone told me it may be because of a clogged oil filter, but the filter is a brand new Mobil 1 filter. But, I hope that with an oil change all will be ok again. Could try 10w 30, but I have been running 5w 30 the whole time and never had a problem... But seeing as how I have to change it anyways, may as well give it a shot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast