•  

Thread: Manual trans stuck in reverse

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Manual trans stuck in reverse

I replaced a clutch in a 08 aveo with the d16 transmission, I put it back together started it up and when I let out the clutch it stalls out. If I give it some gas it will back up when it's in neutral I adjusted the shifter and linkage and it still does it I opened up the shift cover on the transmission and pushed the reverse shift rod back put the cover back on and now it won't engage any gears. The lever won't budge even if the clutch is pushed in. I'm thinking about dropping it again I think the reverse idler gear is stuck with the neutral gear I'm hoping that the transmission isn't shot I don't have a gear puller and press to rebuild it myself. Any one that has dealt with something similar I would appreciate some tips

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      this sounds like just a linkage problem. A new clutch does not affect the transmission.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      The linkage would go into all the gears before I took the cover off reverse and neutral are stuck together somehow

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by johnasosajr View Post
      I replaced a clutch in a 08 aveo with the d16 transmission, I put it back together started it up and when I let out the clutch it stalls out. If I give it some gas it will back up when it's in neutral I adjusted the shifter and linkage and it still does it I opened up the shift cover on the transmission and pushed the reverse shift rod back put the cover back on and now it won't engage any gears. The lever won't budge even if the clutch is pushed in. I'm thinking about dropping it again I think the reverse idler gear is stuck with the neutral gear I'm hoping that the transmission isn't shot I don't have a gear puller and press to rebuild it myself. Any one that has dealt with something similar I would appreciate some tips
      I am only going by what you wrote. If you put the transmission into reverse then put the shift cover to the shift linkage back on, that's the last step before your problem showed itself. If it's not connected right, you won't get it out of reverse. I am not an expert or knowledgeable on transmissions. I am not saying you did something wrong or in any way inferring you don't know what you are doing, just dropping the trans to do the clutch is beyond what I'm comfortable doing right now. I'm just going by long experience in manufacturing maintenance. When I show up to a problem, usually once things get beyond "It won't do ----!", I find out what was done recently and usually that last thing done before the issue is the culprit.

Thanks
      I tried to put the shifter in reverse as well as the shift fork on the gear box the reverse idler gear is just physically stuck to neutral