•  

Thread: Shorten Manual Shifter and Keep Reverse Lockout

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Shorten Manual Shifter and Keep Reverse Lockout

I figured out a way to remove stock knob, cut down shaft 2 inches and keep reverse lock out.
      I took a knife and cut off the rubber from stock knob and that revealed a littler plastic knob. I used the knife and cut that a little and used pliers to pull it off. I took the spring out and pull off the plastic lockout part. Where the shifter boot was zip tied to it I cut it off at the bottom.

I put the newly cut lockout part back in. I put my new shift knob(just a regular Autozone knob not for reverse lockout in any way)and just set it on and measured how deep it went in and added a half inch for space for the lockout. I took the total height and from the top of the lockout I just cut add the height and marked it that was my cut off point. It was about 2 inches.
      Now to take care of the reverse lock out problem. All I needed was a spring that is about 1 inch long. On the lockout part there are 2 oval openings I put 1 end of the spring on drivers side oval opening. Where the shifter shaft connects to the linkage that goes to the transmission I put the other open end of the spring through a zip tie and tightened it to the end of the linkage. That was confusing look at the pictures for a better idea. The spring will act as the new downward tension.

Now I put the boot on and tightened to the shaft instead of the plastic lockout. Put on the new knob and tighten it down.

To pull up and put it in reverse I just reach down and grab the little lip I left on the lockout and Just pull up. Shifter is in reverse in the picture.

Its not the most efficient or correct solution but i put my car in reverse 5 times a day max if that, so I can live with it and so far I have had no problems and it works just fine. The spring and zip tie have no effect in the shifting and their is no binding or anything like that. I hope this helps.

09 Aveo 5 LS Hatch

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Re: Shorten Manual Shifter and Keep Reverse Lockout

interesting, if i wasnt so hell bent on gettin rid of the veo i might consider this....
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Thanks

I've just done this to my car. So far so good!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

I did it at the end of December and it still works great. Its so much smoother.
      09 Aveo 5 LS Hatch

Thanks

Thanks man, i was getting tired of hitting passenger legs shifting into fifth and whatnot.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Well I did this to my car this weekend, and love the idea!!

The only thing I changed was that instead of using a new spring on the outside of the shifter like in the pictures above, I used my dremmel to cut some of the center out of the black piece of plastic so that it has a pocket for the original spring to sit into. Accomplishes the same thing, but this way you dont have to find a new spring for it.

Oh yeah, looking back at the pictures, I noticed you used a new shift knob as well. I just reused my original one so that I dont have to deal with hot metal shifters in the summer. You just do the opposite of how you take them off, boil them in water a while, put it back on and make sure its lined up, then stick it in the fridge for a bit so it tightens up again.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

I would do this but I would want it to work the same just shorter, and I pretty much just move the passenger's legs while shifting into 5th anyway during the process. It just annoying when you have people that just love to get maximum airflow between their legs riding shotgun when 5th gear comes along, and don't get the hint that I need to shift.

I'll keep it and add a turbo mralx152's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by manorness7 View Post
      I would do this but I would want it to work the same just shorter, and I pretty much just move the passenger's legs while shifting into 5th anyway during the process. It just annoying when you have people that just love to get maximum airflow between their legs riding shotgun when 5th gear comes along, and don't get the hint that I need to shift.
      my girl loves this... she doesnt understand why i have to go into 5th shes like why do you always hit me im like move your legs or sit in the back ahahaha

G35
      What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Sorry for the bump, just got this car for the winter and the knob that's on is ing from past owner, all ripped, anyways bough a new chrome knob but didnt remember this car had reverse lock out, I'm wanting to do this but I don't understand the first part about cutting 2 inches from the shaft, the spring part I kinda understand it, would anyone be so kind as to post step by step and posibly with some pictures? I would be so freaking greateful to whoever did, thank you!