•  

Thread: Long starter crank and then starts

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Long starter crank and then starts

I have a 2011 Aveo5 LT with 118K miles on it that I am getting ready to send my daughter to college with. The car has been very well maintained and runs excellent.

But, it does have one issues that I'm concerned about. Warm or cold, when you go to start the engine it cranks more than I am used to on a car before starting. Maybe a full second or more. It starts up and runs just fine after the long crank.

Is this an indication of something going out or do these cars all start like that? I'm worried about fuel pump mainly but also throttle body, etc...

Any advice or is this "normal" behavior for these cars?

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by joe-diy View Post
      I have a 2011 Aveo5 LT with 118K miles on it that I am getting ready to send my daughter to college with. The car has been very well maintained and runs excellent.

But, it does have one issues that I'm concerned about. Warm or cold, when you go to start the engine it cranks more than I am used to on a car before starting. Maybe a full second or more. It starts up and runs just fine after the long crank.

Is this an indication of something going out or do these cars all start like that? I'm worried about fuel pump mainly but also throttle body, etc...

Any advice or is this "normal" behavior for these cars?

did you check de sparkplugs?
      compression maybe low? (compression test?)

if you start, the turn the key slowly, so the fuel pump has some time to build up pressure.
      if it stays the same, than the fuel pump is not the problem.

Thanks
      I checked them last night. They didn't look new so I will go ahead and replace them. Should I do the coil packs at same time? What is the failure rate of those?

Thanks
      OK so I replaced plugs last night with AC Delco Copper. They came pre-gapped at .32 so that settled the debate for me on the gap and I left them. I also replaced the air-filter as it was clearly old.

The long start MIGHT have improved slightly. It is less than 1 second but longer than I would expect.

My next step was to replace the fuel filter as it is probably due as well. But I think I need to make sure it is external as the info here and on the web in general is not clear. 2011 sedan has a fuel filter by the rear wheel but 2011 Aveo5 hatch might not, it might be in the gas tank with the fuel pump...??? I didn't expect that but when I look for parts, outside of RockAuto everywhere else lists no fuel filter for the Aveo5 but does list one for the sedan.

So I'll crawl under after work and see if I can locate it. If it's the same as Sedan, looks to be a very easy item to replace. If not there, that leaves two items I can think of...ignition coils and fuel pump. So far I've been doing "maintenance items" and even the ignition coils are low cost and seem to need to be replaced regularly on these cars but the fuel pump...that one will need to be proven through tests before I start that job.