•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keys

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I have 2 keys for my Aveo and a metal tag with numbers on it. One key has a two button remote controler and the other key is not remote. I would like to get another one with remote. How to do it without going to the dealer? I found on ebay blank keys with an empty case (or shell) without electronics. So I need a blank key with remote case and electronics inside. Than I guess I would have to bring the key to the locksmith to make a copy and than code the remote for my car. So where to buy it and can I code it with OBD2 reader?

Casual Roadtripper RicochetRandy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Just.... Just go to the dealer. Just do it. Save yourself the headache.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      They have chips inside the keys nowadays and some start at 75 dollars and up. Best bet unfortunately would be to goto a dealer and pay their price so as to not have a run around to get it done.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      the Part number for the 07-11 Aveo Keys without the Immobilizer Chip as well as without the Keyless Entry Head is 96810823, and 2 of them Properly Cut and Out the Door at the Dealer cost me only $19.25.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      youll know if you have an immobilizer because if you lock the car with the the key a red light should start blinking by the clock (i have an 06.. so for me its by the clock) I was in the same issue... the car was sold to me with one key.

Disabling the immobilizer (Depending on what you drive) is very easy. and with a 06 aveo its literally 3 screws and a plug. (nothing technical) in which normal keys that dont have chips but are cut to your key would work (i got mine on ebay from the Philippines, and a local lock shop cut it for $3)... eventually when you recover funding it can be re-enabled and get a 3rd party security system installed (so you can still remote start or lock and unlock doors, turn the car on without tripping an immobilizer

Thanks
      Every once in a while my Aveo will not do anything when you turn the key to start....If I unlock the doors again with the buttons on the key it will the start the car.Why is that? Is the battery dying and therefore not transmitting the imobilizer code?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Yeah it could be the battery, normally its one little screw, a small piece of tape. and the battery comes out.
      Take a multimeter and test the battery if its not reading the 1.5 or 3V rating shown on the battery, or just replace it with the correct replacement if you have one on hand.

Thanks
      Although I would like to have another key that starts the car and unlocks/locks remotely, I could live with only extra remote on a chain with my original key which is not remote. To summarize if I can not have it both in one, I would be happy with something to open my car remotely.
      Ok so, I bought (on ebay, from UK) used Daewoo Kalos remote key that looks exactly like mine. Daewoo Key 2 Button Alarm Remote Control | eBay Same chip, same numbers on the back. First of all dealers are asking 300$ for a new key with remote. A bit too much for me.
      In one car key shop, here in Croatia they told me that the chip inside cannot be reprogrammed, once they do it originally and thats it. They offered only to cut me a new key with an empty shell and they would code me a transponder which goes in the shell, so that I could start a car ( cca 70$). But I already have that. My priority is a remote.
      So guys do u know if information that once used chip can not be reprogrammed is correct? ...and tnx for the help

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by TechGeddon View Post
      Yeah it could be the battery, normally its one little screw, a small piece of tape. and the battery comes out.
      Take a multimeter and test the battery if its not reading the 1.5 or 3V rating shown on the battery, or just replace it with the correct replacement if you have one on hand.
      Isn't the immobilizer chip a specialized RFID device, which is a passive component, and the battery only powers the lock/unlock/etc. functions? I would suspect that the immobilizer chip is sitting just as the range that the car can read it, and occasionally is outside the range, which causes the car not to register it.

EDIT: Confirmed it with my car, the immobilizer itself doesn't need the battery. My guess is that it's just slightly out of range of the scanner, and the car isn't registering it.
      Last edited by CKTofu; 05-20-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Thanks
      Okay then if I'm putting the key in the ignition every time how could it possibly be out of range?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast