•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keys

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Unhappy Keys

I wasn't sure whether you guys would want a post like this in general or here, so feel free to move me as necessary. I spent about 10 minutes searching various phrases, so if the information is already out there, a link is appreciated.

We purchased a 2008 Aveo from a Kia dealer that I trust, and while the car is in pristine shape (had an independent garage run a post purchase inspection for me) we only got one key from the dealer. Naturally this has us nervous as heck, since there's no spares.

We've already tried Home Depot and Ace hardware, neither store had a blank that could be cut from the existing key as a door unlocker at the very least, even after I asked the Ace guy if he was sure the machine was tuned ok (was a little irritated, didn't want to leave without keys)

So needless to say, we're in panic mode right about now. We're going to have a hard time financially recovering from the initial purchase (this couldn't have come at a worse time) so spending ~$70 a key from Chevy/the dealer isn't ideal right now.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Buy a blank or two on ebay and have them cut, I got 3 keys made up for $40 total a few years ago, I bent my main one really bad and lost the second one that came with the car new, but the spares have kept me driving haha. The dealer will get you good for spare keys though

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      I agree they are cheap on ebay.

Link: chevy aveo key | eBay

I just did a search for chevy aveo key that's the link for it.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      I dont know if your 08 has an immobilizer key or not, my 04 does not have immobilizer, and my local chevy dealer cut me a new key that locks and unlocks the doors and starts the car with no problems, it only cost $20

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      according to ebay it apparently does. even those blanks are only around $15 on ebay, I didn't look at shipping though.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Thanks
      2007 does not have a key chip and the only place i found local was walmart

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      My 2006 was SVP (read CHEAP) and did not have electronic stuff inside the key. Some of the ACES can do electric/mechanical car keys. BTW I went to the chevy dealer and they wanted 40 bucks for a smart key. I kept arguing with the service dealer that my Aveo did not have a smart key. I went to Ace and they finally started carrying blanks.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      if your aveo has an immobilizer (a chip in the key), the key will have to be programmed at a gm dealership after it is cut.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Chevy leads people to believe that their ordinary looking key is a transponder (chip) key. It is NOT. Buying a key from a dealer is an experience in price gouging.

These key blanks are hard to find locally, but if you are persistent and try enough places you will probably eventually find them, as I did.

I found an ACE hardware store that had them for about $2 each. (ILCO X174 TR40). When they made the key it wouldn't turn in the lock. If that happens don't assume it is the wrong blank, because it IS the right blank. When I examined the key closely I could see that it was not cut accurately. Most hardware stores don't calibrate their key making machines too often and this key needs to be cut precisely. They eventually got it right and I had several keys made. A good locksmith will get it right on the first try, but you will pay a bit more.

ILCO made two versions of the key blank. The more expensive ones are identical to the Chevy key with its big plastic head (which I hate). The ILCO number for that key blank is DWO4RAP. I have one of them which was made by a locksmith. The other ones that I got at Ace hardware are smaller, without the plastic gob. They work just as well if they are cut correctly.

Thanks
      After trying 2 ACE stores (one specialized in car keys and had the chip programming machine), identifying the DWO4RAP DWO5RAP key blanks, they said they didn't have it/couldn't do it. I read somewhere else that the 27R blank at home depot was the one to get. finally got mine duplicated at Lowes with the 27R blank, works fine, cost $2 and I'm going back for another. You should be able to get it done at HD / Lowes / walmart using the 27R blank, which curiously is on the HONDA/ACURA line on the key check rack and not on the chevy line. there is no chip in this key so it is simply a matter of getting the right blank, but I've found you need to guide them to it. I'm curious which honda uses this blank, as I dare say that ACE could've done it if I'd known the right honda model. Perhaps like the other post, the X174 TR40 is the necessary blank # to ask for at Ace. Chevy dealer quoted $30. This one turned out much simpler than the Honda pilot blade/chip 13/laser cut key I also need for my other car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast