•  

Thread: Is It or Isn't It???????????????

Is It or Isn't It???????????????

According to the dealer and Gates timing belt chart, my 2007 Aveo LT with the 1.6L motor IS NOT an interference engine.

Is this not correct?

I wouldn't have bought it if I thought a timing belt snap at 60,000 miles could fry the motor.

Thanks for the clarification,

M Karns

Yes it is a inteference engine. I just changed my timing belt last week. in the instrutions that came with the belt,waterpump and bearings . says this is a 1.6L interference motor. I had 50,000 miles on my aveo the belt look good what suprised me was the old belt said gates power grip daewoo made in korea. if these belts brake at 60,000 i am suprised gates has there name on it. I put a gates made in u.s.a. back on it.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      How was the swap hard?
      30 MPG avg.

Changing the timing belt was not hard at all this was the first time i ever change one.I got my timing belt,idler bearing and tensioner bearing from partsdinosaur.com look under daewoo and the aveo parts are with them not chevy. I got the water pump from napa. you should change the water pump why you are doing this the water pump runs off your timing belt. so why you are already in there. my water pump cost 53.00 dollers
      the parts from parts dinosaur came with intruction on how to change your belt and on daewootech.com under how to shows you.plus on this site under how to look under service manual.
      They say you need a special 42 mm wrench to do this but i just used a pair of channel locks plus i did not have to mess or remove the alternater or power steering pump