•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Check engine light?.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Check engine light?.

This morning I warmed the car up for around 5-8 minutes while I cleaned the windshield, started to drive away and the car had no power like it was in "limp mode", then the check engine light came on. I shut the car off and started it back up and it ran fine like it always does. of course the light stays on...
      Has this happened to any of you and what may have caused it?, it was
      - 22 this morning but the car has been fine in -40.
      It's booked in for Tuesday to have the door stuff finished so now hopefully they can look at this new problem.

06' Aveo
      07' Liberty
      1973 VW Bug. Full resto. summer toy.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      sounds electrical/mechanical due to the weather. 5-8 minutes at idle doesn't do to much at -22. It's -7 here and I let it run for about 15.

Thanks
      I won't post the link cuz it sorta got hijacked into an octane thread, but I posted a no-start problem as of late, which I just got fixed.
      Below -15-ish celcius, it would not start. It might sputter once, but not really catch, and then not start at all. It woud crank and turn over, but acted as if there was no spark or no fuel.
      Finally got it started when it warmed up a bit and got the CEL, so I brought it to the dealer. Code P0606 which is a Faulty ECM, which then tripped codes P2105 and P2106, which essentially shuts down the throttle actuator either completely (2105, i.e. no fuel/spark, the cause of the no-start) or limits the power (2106 limp mode). They replaced the ECM under warranty (so no idea of cost) and now down to -22 celcius + wind chill it starts up perfectly so far after a week, knock on wood.
      BTW- it's better for the car if you don't idle for a super long time to warm it up, cuz you don't end up warming the drivetrain and exhaust properly. Let it idle 1 min, then do easy driving for the next few minutes (<3000 rpm) which warms the car up faster and with less wear. Idling warms up the engine okay, but the cats need a good flow of hot exhaust and idle rpm just isn't enough when it's super cold, so eventually you can kill the cats.

Thanks
      Thank God for warrenty.
      06' Aveo
      07' Liberty

Thanks
      yup... good luck- hope you get it fixed fast! They had to order me in a new ECM which took the weekend + 2 days to come in. Once it did, it was a 20 min job to swap the ECM (I guess 1 hr total labor). They loaned me a Suzuki SX4 AWD in the meantime, which came in super handy when we had the snowstorm.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      I had that same problem happen to me during the holidays.

It was -25 outside, I started the car and brushed the snow off. Then I decided to leave, I wouldn't rev the engine, everything in town was snow covered ice and even with the studs the wheels would spin. When I went to put it in third, that's when I realized that I had no power and that the Check Engine Light was on.

So I went back home. Let the car run outside for a good 15 minutes. Jumped back in and revved it. It was fine and I left. Of course it was the 26th, everything was closed. So I decided to leave for my 300km (190miles) trip.

Made it fine without a hitch. The next day, on my way to the dealership, the light came off. I still spoke to the service adviser about it and said maybe the throttle body froze on it. Told him I had an 06 and that the problem should have been corrected by now and said I wasn't the first one to go see him about it. Told me there was nothing to do unless the light came back on.

Of course that was in Northern Ontario, where the air is pretty dry at this time of year. Now I'm back in Moncton where humidity levels are almost always at 100% and hadn't had that problem again. I'm not worried, I've got the 100 000KM roadside assistance and really never leave the city.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks
      The car still runs and drives like new, just that light is on. Told the dealership about it and they will nook at it Tuesday forsure.
      06' Aveo
      07' Liberty

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog
      I had that same problem happen to me during the holidays.

It was -25 outside, I started the car and brushed the snow off. Then I decided to leave, I wouldn't rev the engine, everything in town was snow covered ice and even with the studs the wheels would spin. When I went to put it in third, that's when I realized that I had no power and that the Check Engine Light was on.

So I went back home. Let the car run outside for a good 15 minutes. Jumped back in and revved it. It was fine and I left. Of course it was the 26th, everything was closed. So I decided to leave for my 300km (190miles) trip.

Made it fine without a hitch. The next day, on my way to the dealership, the light came off. I still spoke to the service adviser about it and said maybe the throttle body froze on it. Told him I had an 06 and that the problem should have been corrected by now and said I wasn't the first one to go see him about it. Told me there was nothing to do unless the light came back on.

Of course that was in Northern Ontario, where the air is pretty dry at this time of year. Now I'm back in Moncton where humidity levels are almost always at 100% and hadn't had that problem again. I'm not worried, I've got the 100 000KM roadside assistance and really never leave the city.
      Then I should be in good shape. Thanks.
      06' Aveo
      07' Liberty

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog
      Sounds like you have an idiot service advisor.
      OBDII systems turn off the CEL if you go through 3 clean start/off cycles. However, unless you clear the computer but pulling the fuse or battery, the code should still be stored. You should get the code read regardless, to try to figure out what the problem could be.

Thanks
      My C.E. light went out this afternoon, the code or codes will be read on Tuesday

06' Aveo
      07' Liberty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast