•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silent Service Bulletin

Silent Service Bulletin

On this past Monday (4/02/2007) I was driving home from work, when my 2004 Aveo just..quit. I called 2 Chevy dealerships, and both told me it was only covered under a 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty ( I have 58,800 miles on it)... So I had it towed to the nearest local repair shop, where they found a broken timing belt and every valve severely bent. My friend works in the prep are at a dealership near Bay City, Michigan, and his boss said it was covered under the 5 year/60,000 powertrain warranty, so I called the repair shop back, put a stop to the work, then called a few more dealerships, AND the GM customer care to verify-they all said no, because I did not have the timing belt inspected at 30,000 miles and that the timing belt was a wear item, it was not covered, so I let the repair shop resume repairs...later that day, my friend called back, and told me about a service bulletin stating that the 2004 to 2006 chevy aveo has a problem with early timing failure, and that it IS covered no matter what... GM customer care said they could not find it, which I know was bull**** as my freind emailed me the actual bulliten with the specific ID #....So I went to the local dealership, and they agreed after I had shown them all my records of the facts..They told me to bring copies of all records when the repairs are finished, including the damaged parts, and that they will bill GM, then reimburse me the money I will have spent....we will see, it will take up to 2 weeks until I get my car back and GM reimburses me (if they do).

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      can you post the bulletin for the rest of us to have? thanks
      Icelandic Blue with "LOW VEO" tags

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396518

yea wat he said^^^^^

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      +1

sheet ive been ****ed by GM on my tranny before, its not happening again with a timing belt.....im halfway there.....14000 miles.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      When I took mine in a few weeks ago for a water leak (they replaced the thermostat and housing) I asked about the timing belt. The service writer pulled up the bulliten which stated that 2004 timing belts will be replaced under warranty, but the labor will not be covered after 36,000 miles, only the cost of the belt.

For 05+ the bulletin does not apply. I'm hoping mine lasts at least 60k which is when I will be replacing it... unless there are some other 05's who have it break, then I'll do it sooner.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Re: Silent Service Bulletin

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontearz
      On this past Monday (4/02/2007) I was driving home from work, when my 2004 Aveo just..quit. I called 2 Chevy dealerships, and both told me it was only covered under a 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty ( I have 58,800 miles on it)... So I had it towed to the nearest local repair shop, where they found a broken timing belt and every valve severely bent. My friend works in the prep are at a dealership near Bay City, Michigan, and his boss said it was covered under the 5 year/60,000 powertrain warranty, so I called the repair shop back, put a stop to the work, then called a few more dealerships, AND the GM customer care to verify-they all said no, because I did not have the timing belt inspected at 30,000 miles and that the timing belt was a wear item, it was not covered, so I let the repair shop resume repairs...later that day, my friend called back, and told me about a service bulletin stating that the 2004 to 2006 chevy aveo has a problem with early timing failure, and that it IS covered no matter what... GM customer care said they could not find it, which I know was bull**** as my freind emailed me the actual bulliten with the specific ID #....So I went to the local dealership, and they agreed after I had shown them all my records of the facts..They told me to bring copies of all records when the repairs are finished, including the damaged parts, and that they will bill GM, then reimburse me the money I will have spent....we will see, it will take up to 2 weeks until I get my car back and GM reimburses me (if they do).
      owner manual says to replace at 60,000 miles...indeed the belt died 200 miles short...this has happened to a few people, see they wouldnt have a problem if they would send a letter out stating that this is a problem and to bring the car in at 45-50,000 miles to replace it...would probably save them/or the owner a grand every time it happens

This is the actual service bulletin sent directly to me form my friend who works at a chevy dealership- document ID number 1865165.

Subject: Broken Timing Belt Prior To 60000 Miles (100000 Kilometers) - keywords bent broke crank engine failure information maintenance no nostart start valve valves warranty #PIP3936 - (10/03/2006)

Models: 2004 - 2006 Chevrolet Aveo
      2005 - 2006 Pontiac Wave (Canada Only)
      with 1.6L Engine (VIN 6 - RPO L91)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
      Condition/Concern:

On rare occasions, a timing belt may fail prior to the required 60,000 mile (100, 000 kilometers Canada) replacement interval, resulting in a crank no start condition. Depending upon the position of the camshafts at the time of the failure, valve damage may occur in one or more cylinders, and in some cases, cylinder head damage is also possible.
      Recommendation/Instructions:

If timing belt breakage is encountered, inspect the engine for consequential valve, valve guide, and cylinder head damage, and repair as necessary. Typically, the engine pistons, rods, bearings and crankshaft will not be affected by impact with the valves, however, the piston top surface should be inspected carefully to confirm that no significant damage is present. Valve impact marks or indentations in the piston tops do not require replacement action unless there is evidence of piston cracking.

1. If timing belt damage or breakage occurs PRIOR to the required 60,000 mile (100,000 kilometer Canada) timing belt replacement interval, the engine should be repaired and belt replaced under the 5 year 60,000 mile warranty. Engine damage induced by timing belt failure should not be denied based solely on the customers' inability to produce proof of a previous timing belt inspection.
      2. If timing belt damage or breakage occurs AFTER the required 60,000 mile (100,000 kilometer Canada) timing belt replacement interval and the timing belt had NOT BEEN PREVIOUSLY REPLACED within the required 60,000 mile (100,000 kilometer Canada) timing belt replacement interval, the engine repair should be at the expense of the customer because the engine is outside the warranty window and the recommended belt replacement interval was ignored.
      3. Customers who have previously incurred out of pocket repair costs, associated with timing belt failures prior to 60,000 miles (100,000 kilometers Canada), may contact Customer Assistance to petition repair reimbursement. CAC will require documentation of the repair and mileage.
      4. Dealer service departments should advise Customers that 60,000 mile (100,000 kilometer Canada) belt replacement is required maintenance and GM may deny warranty coverage if the belt is not replaced within the required maintenance period.

Notice:: Timing belt failures prior to 60,000 miles are covered under 5/60 warranty.

Important:: See Timing Belt Inspection and Replacement Information in SI. Timing belt replacement and adjustment procedures must be performed according to SI instructions

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
      WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
      Document ID# 1865165

I tell you what though...after this, I will try a Chrysler product- I had a Ford before, and their service was worse than GM...the Nitro or Caliber most likely(something I can put my greyhound in and camp with) , if not, maybe it's time to try a foreign product if an American company wants to do this to consumers...I work for a GM supplier, but this is bullcrap- a 100,000 Kia warranty sound good right now....

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Mine's at the dealership right now getting the timing belt changed. Has about 44k miles on it. I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry. Nothing was actually broken, so I'm guessing none of it will be covered by warranty (even with my extended 100k mile warranty). Was quoted $252 for the parts+labor. The cost is worth it if it means I don't have to be without my car while they rebuild my engine cuz the belt broke.

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      ....i think we should have a chat with the better business bureau about this...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast