•  

Thread: ETEC II 16V & 5 speed gearbox

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

ETEC II 16V & 5 speed gearbox

Gday, everyone, I am new to this forum, I am from Australia, I just recently brought a Holden barina which has the ETEC II 16V motor & 5 speed manual gearbox, I think this is the best place to find any info on this.
      It appears to have oil leak right at the join right where the gearbox and engine mount together, can anyone tell me what would be leaking the gearbox or the engine, if so it is the gearbox where could I find the oil level plug on it

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Jas1979 View Post
      Gday, everyone, I am new to this forum, I am from Australia, I just recently brought a Holden barina which has the ETEC II 16V motor & 5 speed manual gearbox, I think this is the best place to find any info on this.
      It appears to have oil leak right at the join right where the gearbox and engine mount together, can anyone tell me what would be leaking the gearbox or the engine, if so it is the gearbox where could I find the oil level plug on it
      is the oil thin or thick looking? if its thin looking, its engine oil, if its thick looking, its Gear oil. and if its engine oil, i would scrutinize the oil pan gasket and rear main seal (the latter should be handled by a Professional mechanic, because to replace that seal, the gearbox has to come out of the car, and the flywheel removed from the back of the engine.)

Thanks
      I am sure it is engine oil, oil level seems to be dropping on the dipstick level, Ok Thank you for your support i appreciate it.
      Another issue i seem to be having is when i back off on the accelerator and revs drop down to below 2000 rpm, then i accelerate again it seems to jump a little back and fourth what could this be is so annoying, is like there is play in between the motor and gearbox.

Thanks
      I am sure it is engine oil, oil level seems to be dropping on the dipstick level, Ok Thank you for your support i appreciate it.
      Another issue i seem to be having is when i back off on the accelerator and revs drop down to below 2000 rpm, then i accelerate again it seems to jump a little back and fourth what could this be is so annoying, is like there is play in between the motor and gearbox.
      What year is your Barina? And how many kilos are on it? Did you get any previous service history when you bought it? That play you are experiencing may be a worn out clutch.

Thanks
      2007 holden barina TK, 105000 klms on the clock, yes i have service history on it, mmm worn clutch ok, no problem, also when should it be recommended to change the timing belt, because i dont think this has been done also, from what i have read should be changed at 95000 klms

Thanks
      is this correct or ???????, the last thing i want to do is snap one.

Thanks

ETEC II 16V & 5 speed gearbox

is this correct or ???????, the last thing i want to do is snap one.
      Yeah, I'd change that timing belt right away, unless it was done by the previous owner. If you look in the How To threads, you can find comprehensive instructions on how to change your timing belt if you feel you can do it yourself. 95,000 KMs roughly translates in American to 59,000 miles, and the timing belt change interval for the E-TEC engine is every 60,000 miles. (Of course with the Gen III Ecotec engine, that interval got a 40,000 mile boost)
      Last edited by 2010AveoLT; 05-14-2015 at 04:55 AM.

Thanks
      Was looking through service history, and timing belt was changed at 60000 klms, so i think im safe for a while