•  

Thread: gearbox

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

gearbox

hi quick question did try to serch for an anwser but could not find one. is the gearbox out of the 1.4 8v the same as the one out of the 1.4 16v might be the simple anwser im hoping for of yes but want to check first as i need a replacement. well in reality i only need the casing as the gear are in perfect order its ust the casing is damaged where my gearbox mount decided to sheer some bolts to it and drop the thing on the subframe.

thanks

Thanks
      It would probably be easier to just find a replacement tranny in a salvage yard rather than swapping all the guts over. Another alternative would be taking it to a place to weld it back together.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      unfortunantly i know first hand about swopping the gubbings (broken selector fork 3/4th) out its not actually that bad a job. however that was not the question i was just trying to work out if the gearboxes were the same i.e bolt fitment to engine and gearing inside as i can source one from the salvage yard within buget but only if i get one from a 1.4 8v.
      this isn't the first issue iv had with this gear box had the gearbox mount sheer two bolts after owning the car less that 3 months and then after 3 years as stated had the 3rd/4th sector fork break on me. hence im just trying to guage what other gearboxes be that from other brands are an identical swop out as im looking at a lanos 1.3 which looks the same but again if its not the same would be a waste of money buying.

i did look into welding the bolt holes back up and having them fill in the side which has broken off however speaking to the local fabricators shop they told me that although the work in it'self is an easy enough job they wouldn't garentee the job as the welding process would make the joint much more brital and with the stress that is applied there is a highly likely possiblity of it breaking out again and not working as soon as you boot it. i can't use helicoils as one half of the bolt hole is completely gone to top it off so im looking for new gear boxes. even just the shell would be good i mean like i said swooping the gearing over is a piece of cake dont even need to remove the gear box to swop the gears out.