•  
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M33 EVL URGENT HELP NEEDED!! turbo/engine/gearbox fix/swap/ideas HELP PLEASE!

What do you mean there's no turbo? M33EVL's Avatar
      Thanks

Unhappy M33 EVL URGENT HELP NEEDED!! turbo/engine/gearbox fix/swap/ideas HELP PLEASE!

hey guys ive hit a standstil. AND ITS EMOTIONALLL!!

before i go on first for those that dont know my situation it is as so..

i have a daewoo kalos 1.4 sx AUTOMATIC!
      its only done about 23,000 Miles so kinda fresh!
      and i live in the uk.
      so alot of access to vauxhall parts/engines...

i didnt pick the car started off as mums car then i took it and thought hmm nice project without thinking about the gearbox..

HOWEVER!! MY GEARBOX IS BUSTED! and it doesnt really work.. due to my stupidity and constantly shifting in 2 nutral whilst driving to try build up revs n then shift in 2 drive... pls dnt ask..
      and over here in the uk im being quoted prices like £1200-£1500 GBP ($1,922 - $2,403 USD)for a re-furbished gearbox with a 12month warnty..

ive never really carried out any mechanical work on tht level so id rather have a mechanic do that sort of stuff... however bolt ons and other minor things i can do within the engine bay..

Now you guys probably gona say search the other forums i have done again and again and again.. its all for manuls... not only that its for the 1.6 aveo..or i find sum threads for 1.5 :s now im not sure if that makes a diff or not with the holes matching up.. im guessing it could tho..

so nowww im stuck in a dilema.. i was thinking rather than spending that much money just on a gearbox.. get rid of it and swap in a new engine and new gearbox HOWEVER ive been quoted crazy prices like £7,000 GBP+ ($11,211 USD) umm duno about you guys but my pockets aint thaaat deep for a one shot part.. acorss a few years maybe but not straight up in one go
      they keep talking about how the driveterains wont match and all this other stuff and its a big project bla bla bla

so my question to all you engine and gearbox guru's is..!!
      WHAAT SHAL I DOOO

i know some of you hate turbos and so on.. but i unfortuntly am a sucker for dump vales and ive alwaysss been sucker for em.. so id have to have a dump valve for what ever set up i go for.. esp since ive done so much work on the outside and plannd for the inside as well still to come...
      pls remember my cars AUTO and the gearbox isnt working..
      and if you know of any setups that are jjust simpl bolt up PLEASE TELL MEE!!
      that way i can do it!
      and il keep everyone posted throughout the project but may need help if i hit a brick wall! the cars not in use but im going to need it within the next month or two and im willing to put in as much time as needed..!
      im ideallly looking for something to give out a final output of around 200BHP+ with the option 2 increase safly.. as i fink thts more than enough for a car of its size n weight...
      pref no fabrication needed or minimal!

im thinking of 3 options

1) fix my gear box, then just turbo my 1.4 and upgrade all internals (pistons ect)

problem:however my dilema is.. ITS STIL ONLY 1.4 and all that money id sepdn on upgrades i could of purchased a new faster car as stock!
      ONE LAST THING! i read on one aveo owners project he turboed his aveo which was auto
      HOWEVER didnt go 2 plan as for some reason his auto gearbox wasnt shifting fast enough due to the increasd boost... well thats what i read on there.. and ever since reading that i was put off even trying it incase that happened... and if that is so.. is there a way to re-program the gearbox or something..

2) new engine which bolts up to my current gearbox and fix my current auto gearbox and turbo it

problem: the gearbox wil stil be auto and i dont like drivin fast cars which are auto.. i love manul so would prefer that.. and how much can that stock kalos gearbox take..

3) new engine new manul gearbox conversion and turbo it

Problem: cost that companies have quoted. however if its all direct bolt up il do it myself thats not a problem.. buuuut i dont know which engines/gearbox's match up to the 1.4 as all the posts and threads are in relation to 1.6 aveo's and so on.. with the forenza engine and other engines found in america not in UK besides one which i think was a omega or something..

forgive me for anything that may have sounded noobie LOL.. i am stil a noobie but with big ideas..
      ay help would be muuuch muuuch appriciated... please helppp, i dont wana be stuck with a 1.4 auto..
      but if i have a bigger engine with auto then il live with it.. or even a solution for the 1.4 auto turbo project's gear change problem....

i eagerly await all you repliesss..

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      Conversion to a manual transmission, no matter how much of a pain it may be, is going to be the biggest help you can give yourself if you want turbo. IMO it's worth doing anyway. There is a new list on an active topic that might have some other engine and transmissions you can use. I'm not familiar with the mounts and space in your engine bay, as I'm a noob to these cars myself. I will post the link to that thread, and hopefully that helps you in some way.

Here it is http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f103/...eed-tlc-11080/ Starts off as a Wrecked discussion but quickly goes into turbo. with a few links on info about transmissions. Not sure what you can do in your area, but it's a start, good luck.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Thanks
      thanks alot kinda helped put a few more ideas in my head...

umm this is another totaaally noob question..
      why is it such a problem converting from auto to manual if im swapping the engine as well :\
      why are these garages quoting me an arm and a leg...! isit reallly that much work..
      from what i understand if its a engine that bolts straight up.. itl be pulling out the old and in with the new.. few things like possible speedo errors and things like that..
      but then the gearbox that is ment for that engine.. surly that would just bolt straight up to that engine easy :\
      so whats the biggie..?
      besides needing a new pedal for the clutch and possibly interior dash as that will need to have a stick shift and not the boxy auto leaver... i dont see much els as a problem... but then again ive never pulled an engine out a car so i dont know anything..

can anyone shed any light on the topic?

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      If you buy an engine that already has the manual flywheel it shouldnt be that hard. Just remove the old engine and put the new one in with the manual tranny. Ofcourse your gonna need the 1.4l manual ECU. But main parts are flywheel, tranny, shifter, and linkage i believe, and pedals. I was thinking about doing this to my auto but shops quoting me $1000 USD around here

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by reddemonx92 View Post
      If you buy an engine that already has the manual flywheel it shouldnt be that hard. Just remove the old engine and put the new one in with the manual tranny. Ofcourse your gonna need the 1.4l manual ECU. But main parts are flywheel, tranny, shifter, and linkage i believe, and pedals. I was thinking about doing this to my auto but shops quoting me $1000 USD around here
      a $1000 i would glaadly pay that and get this sorted..! it would be cheaper than me getting my auto fixed LOL so would save me money ahaha! but no one even cares about the project as soon as i say daewoo or even if i try say chevy.. they listen then kalos comes out and not some muscle car and theyr like ahh umm wont do it sorry mate! 2 much work.. URGHH!!!

what if i was thinking of swapping the entire engine i.e putting in a c20let with the matching gearbox which i fink is a f28 or f20 or something.. dont quote me on that.. but one of them i fink...
      and say i had the ecu, wiring loom and all the cables and everything..

surely my only problems would be clutch pedal, gear stick and mounting the engine in my engine bay right? and if that bolted up to the same mounting brackets no major problems..
      righhttt.....? :\

speedos and all that wont be much of a problem, because im using after market gauges they automatically calibrate themselvs LOL :P so not to worried about that... and worst case senario il just sit and sort the wiring out a day or 2's worth of work, not the end of the world..
      Last edited by M33EVL; 10-29-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Thanks
      Should mount up if thats the same engine nemasys has in his aveo. Your gonna need all 3 new pedals because the brake one is smaller on manual cars. And the lines to the clutch aswell your gonna need.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by reddemonx92 View Post
      Should mount up if thats the same engine nemasys has in his aveo. Your gonna need all 3 new pedals because the brake one is smaller on manual cars. And the lines to the clutch aswell your gonna need.
      hmmm so it seems like a straight forward'ish job then...
      so why are all the garages i asked making such a big whoha about it :\
      take old engine out.. fit new one in bolt up new gearbox to match... new pedals and obv the lines... end of..
      i dont get it then.. as soon as i said its an auto they would have a panic attack and say no no too much work!
      maybe they thought i was still keeping the stock aveo gearbox.. hmmm
      might give them another call 2morow and see if that changes the story abit..

do you know by any chance if nemasys used his stock aveo gearbox of if he used a different gearbox.. cos then i might just do what hes done.. but im looking to find an engine thats factory turbo so i dont have to worry about uprating this and changing that n bla bla bla... just put it in one time everything i want..

Thanks
      Don't remember you can check out his build thread he has a bunch of info on his swap

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i barely skimmed this, but either swap in a manual as stated, i could tell you more about what you need if you are going to look yourself..

OR this would be fun if i lived in the uk.. i would take the car to hrengineering i remember it was something like 5-6000 pounds for the conversion.. would be the same to do in an aveo as a mk1..

Thanks
      [QUOTE=petrified.rabbit;142058]i barely skimmed this, but either swap in a manual as stated, i could tell you more about what you need if you are going to look yourself..

OR this would be fun if i lived in the uk.. i would take the car to hrengineering i remember it was something like 5-6000 pounds for the conversion.. would be the same to do in an aveo as a mk1..

£5-6000 that does indeed look like fun lol.. but right now my pockets aint that deep

ye that soundss suppper, id b ever so grateful if you could let me knw, basically the more the better, because im reading all sorts of comments on other posts and forums, some say its not worth even converting to manual cos of cost, and its near enough impossibl, and what not really putting me off...

basically my auto tranys totaly gone.. im not trying to make a super car or anything but i want a respectable 200bhp as my benchmark.. because the cars light so 200bhp will be nice umpf!

as i only have a baby 1.4 do you think in your learned and more experienced opinion to swap out the aveo motor and trany in order to try and bolt up a c20let or a stock 2ltr turbo with its matching manual gearbox would be better? and how realistic and possible is this?

or shall i keep the aveo motor and convert it to manual and just turbo it, upgrade internals, change pistons compression and tweak it abit here and there alongside port and polish every thing i can to achieve the 200bhp?
      because just upgrading the stock aveo seems like less trouble.. but will the engine and gearbox handle the boost as im going to be using this as a daily car.. i dont fancy breaking down every other day, or something snapping because it cant handle the power.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast