•  

Thread: Engine keeps shutting off

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Engine keeps shutting off

Hello, everyone! Fellow Aveo driver here. I drive a 2006 Aveo LT that seems to have come down with a few problems. First, my engine keeps shutting off while I'm driving. It seems to do it more towards warmer weather and when I'm not accelerating. All the lights come on and the radio and all electrical remains on, however the engine is off. It goes exactly into the state of turning your key halfway to not start the car but to listen to the radio. My second problem is that when it rains my car makes a squeaking sound when it's parked and I lock it. This is followed by my car alarm going off within the next 10 minutes. That's the only time it ever goes off. I don't know if these problems are related to each other a I am not very smart with cars. My Dad is somewhat of a mechanic and believed it to be vapor lock and drilled a hole through my cap which didn't end up helping. If anyone has an idea of what this may be I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      The second problem sounds like the alarm hood switch has gone bad. See this link for replacement info.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Thanks, mcthumber! I'll order the part and update everyone on how that works.

As for the engine shutting off, I have been told it could be related to a part called a "Service Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid." Would anyone have any better information on that?