•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealer Timing Belt chrage is it reasonable?

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Dealer Timing Belt chrage is it reasonable?

My local Chevrolet dealer will install a brand new timing belt for $350 out the door. I've reviewed the maintenance tips on this in the forum and it's only time consuming not hard . I just don't know if I have a spare 4 hours anytrime soon. Does the dealer charge of $350 sound resonable. Service Manager advises at that price they only replace belt not and tensioners etc. unless they are bad. What do you guys think?

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks

Dealer Timing Belt charge is it reasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by wardie View Post
      My local Chevrolet dealer will install a brand new timing belt for $350 out the door. I've reviewed the maintenance tips on this in the forum and it's only time consuming not hard . I just don't know if I have a spare 4 hours anytrime soon. Does the dealer charge of $350 sound resonable. Service Manager advises at that price they only replace belt not and tensioners etc. unless they are bad. What do you guys think?
      Hi Wardie,

Because service and labor charges driven by the individual dealership I am unable to advise you. I would suggest contacting another Cheverolet dealership(s) in your area to do some comparison pricing on the labor. If you would like for me to contact another dealership in your area, I would be glad to. Please send me a private message with your vehicle's VIN# and your zip code.

Please keep us posted on what you decide. Thank you.

Vanessa, GM Customer Service

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Tearing into it that far then skimping on cheap parts (water pump & tensioner) is pretty foolish IMO. Penny wise and pound foolish as it goes.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i have to agree with wylee, but you need be replacing all the parts for that price. The "kits" that come with everything to replace the water pump, tensioners and other components are about $150-175 for a decent quality kit. Still NOT oem, but like gates. Even at that, that leave the dealership with $175-200 about for labor. Thats 2 hours or less these days (look at their labor rate, it should be posted). So if they are replacing all the pieces that should be done for that price, then 2 hours isn;t really an over charge but the labor rate makes it sound more expensive.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I just received an estimate from the local dealer here for $620 including new pump and pulleys. Last year they were in the $500 ball park. I'd say $350 is a good price for a dealer, but perhaps they are counting on calling you later to suggest replacing the water pump or pulleys.

Replacing all the components seems to make economic sense if you are doing it yourself or using a shop that will discount the book hours given the belt is already off. Many independent shops will do this.

Dealers, however, seem to quote replacing the water pump or pulleys separately and do not consider the spot is already opened up.

So its roughly $350 to replace the timing belt, $200 to replace the pump regardless if you do it at belt change time or not. $100 for the pulleys regardless. Roughly $650 if you get it all done at the same time or not. You are doing the dealer and tech a favor by doing it all at once as they pocket the savings... or so it seems. Economically doesn't make sense to replace anything beside the timing belt. Just costs you another trip to the dealer later.
      Last edited by ColdCase; 07-18-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
      Economically doesn't make sense to replace anything beside the timing belt. Just costs you another trip to the dealer later.
      You do know that the Aveo has an interference engine, right? The cost will certainly be more than just another trip to the dealer if the tensioner fails.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Aren't just about all modern engines interference type?

So you are saying the tensioner and pulleys should be replaced every 60K as preventive maintenance? And the water pump? Or are they like 120K items, or items to be inspected?

I was just suggesting you may not be saving install money by doing everything at once as some implied here. There may be technical reasons, however. I notice dealers here don't change anything besides the belt as part of the routine maintenance, but what do they know. They typically inspect the other components. They often suggest just inspecting the timing belt, not to replace it early for replacement sake.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Just for update and reference....

Did I mention how much I hate dealers... just got a call that the $620 quote I received yesterday was underestimated, it is actually going to be $890, they say they have to tear the whole front of the engine apart to get the water pump replaced... they want 2 more hours labor (now 5 hours total), $400 in parts... So the charges seem to be doubled to replace the pump at the same time as the belt.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      thats BS, they have to loosen and turn the water pump to tighten the timing belt anyhow, so they are taking you for a ride.

if you loosen it to turn it, you only have to pull it out to put the new one one, not need 2 additional hours.

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      I think the tensioner an water pump should be good for more than 60k...but I would not trust them for 120K considering the damage that will be done if they fail.

As far as an additional 2 hours to get to the water pump...the bastages! The cam sprockets and the back piece of the timing belt cover/case needs to come off to get to the water pump....maybe an hour total if they've never done it before.

The job should take no longer than book rate for the water pump. The timing belt has to come off to replace the water pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast