•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone PLEASE help me fix my cruise control. 2009 Chevy Aveo 5

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Can anyone PLEASE help me fix my cruise control. 2009 Chevy Aveo 5

Was working then, NOT! I would like to fix myself, but don't have repair manual and can't afford to by one. PLEASE HELP!![-o<

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Could be any number of problems. Easiest thing to start with is the switch itself since all you need is a multimeter.

Thanks
      I don't want to sound ignorant but, what is a multimeter and how do I use it?

Thanks
      I just remembered something about this car. I ran into it myself.

If there is a pending "check engine" code for the emission system (but it's not showing up yet) it can disable the cruise control. Take it to an auto parts shop (pepboys, autozone, etc) and have them scan the computer. Most will do it for free.

If there is a pending code, make a note of it and post back here. You can ask if they are willing to clear it (usually they won't). If that is the problem, clearing the code could reenable the cruise control, at least until the code sets again...
      Last edited by EAD15; 02-19-2015 at 05:55 AM.

Thanks
      Thank you so much. I will do that first thing in the morning. And let you know.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by cburns View Post
      I don't want to sound ignorant but, what is a multimeter and how do I use it?
      you are not sounding ignorant; most people don't know what or how to use a multimeter unless it pertains to their career.

A multimeter is an electrical diagnostic tool used by electricians and mechanics to measure Electrical Voltage (Volts; Alternating Current for Household and Industrial electricians, and Direct Current for Automotive Mechanics.), Electrical Resistance (Ohms), and Electrical Current (Amperes-or Amps). here is a well thought out and informative video on how to use a multimeter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBbgiBU96mM

with most cars today being mostly electrical and electronic in nature (even Power Steering is being electrified); knowledge of multimeter use is more important than ever.

Thanks
      Well, I went to AutoZone as you suggested and there is NO codes pending. The guy that helped me checked the fuses under the hood and didn't find any blown ones. The older gentleman in the store suggested that I check the BRAKE SWITCH on the brake pedal. He said that maybe that could be the problem, saying that it may be sticking, preventing the cruise control from re- engaging. Could that possibly be the problem?

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by cburns View Post
      Well, I went to AutoZone as you suggested and there is NO codes pending. The guy that helped me checked the fuses under the hood and didn't find any blown ones. The older gentleman in the store suggested that I check the BRAKE SWITCH on the brake pedal. He said that maybe that could be the problem, saying that it may be sticking, preventing the cruise control from re- engaging. Could that possibly be the problem?
      he actually does have a point; because there are four main parts to the Cruise control system to make it work (Five if its a 5 Speed Manual): the Switches on the steering wheel, the Brake Pedal switch, the Clutch Pedal Switch (if its a 5 speed Manual) the ECM (the Engine's brain) and the TAC (Throttle Actuator Control) Servo. the Brake and Clutch Switches are whats used to Cancel the set speed (since our Cruise Control Switch does not have a dedicated 'Cancel' Button) have you noticed any other problems along with your cruise going dead? (like every time you try to go somewhere, you end up needing a jump start?)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 2010AveoLT For This Useful Post:

cburns (02-20-2015)

Thanks
      No. But a couple of months after I got the car, I went to the store and when I came out, turned the key, nothing. The car was dead. I got a push start(the car is a 5 speed manual)and made it home. After a bit, I had to leave again and the car started right up. Go figure. That was 2 yrs. ago. Other than that, I have had no other issues, except the cruise control.
      Almost forgot that my Air Bag Light goes on and off at will. (Meaning, whenever the car chooses.) LOL. When it goes off, it does stay off for awhile. Then, it decides it wants to come on again. Don't know what's up with that. Can't afford the $150 to $200 fee the dealer charges just to pull into the garage to check it! What is a girl to do.
      Last edited by cburns; 02-20-2015 at 03:22 AM.

Thanks
      Well, we've eliminated the easiest solution. I've gone ahead and created a PDF of the cruise control diagnostic information from the service manual for the 09 Aveo. If you want it, be sure to download it soon. I will only be able to leave the link active for about 48 hours.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzu7hw9jq0...trol2.pdf?dl=0

12. The Following User Says Thank You to EAD15 For This Useful Post:

2010AveoLT (02-20-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast