•  

Thread: 2007 Aveo Stereo turns on but no sound from speakers

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2007 Aveo Stereo turns on but no sound from speakers

My girlfriend has a 2007 Aveo and recently her stock radio quit working. The radio retains power as it is supposed to, but no sound comes out of the speakers, no AM/FM, or CD will play any sound from any of the speakers.

So I replaced it with an Aiwa unit and it was working when I had it on my lap while I was wiring it up. As soon as I put it in the dash and replaced all the panels it stopped working as well, with the exact same symptoms as the stock radio.

Thinking that maybe this radio was bad as well (it sat in my basement for a few years) I purchased a new JVC unit to put in. It wasn’t working either when I got it all wired up.

So just for fun, I put the Aiwa back in and it started working, then I took it out and put the JVC back in and it worked. I left the JVC in, in hopes it would continue to work, but less than 5 minutes down the road it stopped again. This time it comes on and off occasionally.

So, I have 3 radios that all experience the same symptoms, which I believe all 3 radios are in perfect working order. Is there some sort of amplifier or distribution block that all 4 speakers would be going through to cause this issue? It doesn't seem like wiggling the harness has much if any an affect on the the problem. Any ideas? Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: 2007 Aveo Stereo turns on but no sound from speakers

I would check for any bent pins in the connector. I had an issue with that (for me it was only one speaker though)...
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

She hasn’t been home for me to check this yet, hopefully some night this week I will get a chance.

I think I found the wiring diagram for her car, looks to be nothing in the way, and certainly nothing common between all 4 speakers except the radio and connector.

Thanks

There IS nothing in common if you're talking about the stock set-up. And the wiring diagram for the harness is printed right on top of the radio, so you can just pull that out and see it on there... it wouldn't be any of the speaker wires most likely, 'cause then it would be no sound from only one speaker...

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

does the factory radio use a common speaker ground? if so that is one wire that would cancel all four speakers.

although common audio grounds are truly a thing of the past.. this might be a possibility.

there is also a mute signal wire if you have onstar.

Thanks

I found out what was causing the problem! Turns out one of the rear speakers must have been knocked around a bit from the contents of the trunk and knocked loose one of the speakers terminals. This caused the terminals to wiggle around and come in contact with the metal frame around the speaker, causing it to short out the entire speaker system.

I put some silicone around the terminal to help hold it in place and insulate it from the frame, hopefully all is well now. Worst case, I'll buy a new set of rear speakers.

Thanks

As mentioned before, it was a ground issue... almost the same happened with my dome light... the custom set-up that I had in there for a month or two didn't take into the account that the power wire was sitting right above the screw that provides the ground for the dome light fixture... was only a matter of time before I tried to move it in there to make it work better (two LEDs started flickering) and pushed the contact far enough to touch the screw... took me a while to figure out what was wrong, 'cause I thought it was only a burnt out bulb. What helped me was when I went in the trunk and realized the cargo area light is out too... a quick fuse swap under the hood and a little re-design of LED dome light fixed the issue...