•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A new small Cadillac (based on Aveo platform)

Thanks
      I like it. Its very different. I know that usually goes to the extreme either way, but I like it. I completely agree with Rabbit though. By the time it goes to production it won't be much different than anything else out there.

Thanks
      Cadiveo? Aveillac?

Cadillac has done this before: taking an entry level platform and massaging it into a desirable automobile:

Kidding.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I think your using the word "desirable" very loosely.

Those older versions were always the poor mans Cadillac. I don't think the market is that foolish anymore, but Americans stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks
      More like sarcastically than loosely. Cadillac Cavalier!

I actually think the Aveillac concept looks pretty good. And it makes sense that they'd be batting around ideas for a premium compact / subcompact. Again.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      this car, if made, once it loses the flip enlarged single doors for four standard aveo doors (in typical gm fashion).. get more traditional tires and wheels, etc.. it will be about as different from a normal aveo as the fwd catera is from a malibu...

i think the hardest sell is in the new media who has seemed to become a little more cynical of the big 3, is how they are going to sell the aveo as a buick and/or cadillac, with the typical appreciation between models, the cadillac should fall in around $25k..
      In aviation 1/3 of the cost of the airframe is the avionics. Now with upper end cars, it's astounding the number of processors tossed into a car. By the time you integrated audio/video/gps services with some kind of ride handling feature, there will be about 15 grand added to the retail price. I will have to admit I do really have a strong cultural bias against caddies and I always did not care for the atheistic approach by caddy.

I wondered how if I would reacted if that was done by any the Euros. I do like the aggressive look of the vehicle, I don't like the grill, and the wheels. I do like the flip doors.

I really think America does have a hard time accepting small vehicles. The past two weeks I have been driving my Ranger and I get much different treatment than my aveo. Here in SUV land, I don't have them kissing my rear at stop lights. In my aveo, they will snug right up and almost forcefully push their presence onto my car. Hey guys we are not Reese Monkeys!

I love driving small cars. There is a lot advantages to them and for us, guys...we don't have to drive an big SUV/Truck to compensate....GRIN.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      if you think they will stuff more/better parts into the car just because it has a wreath on it, i think your mistaken.. having torn into those "low end" caddys i can tell you, historically, they use the same components as their cheaper gm counterparts.
      At least in todays market the full body paneling would be different.. instead of just the header/bumpers and lights.. the interior (dash and such) will probably differ, they might offer a high line radio with nav (new prototype aveo already has this though). All the power accessories will be the same. I have a feeling the caddy would use the awd that buick has mentioned.. which i have no idea of that cost. it would be great if they implemented higher line parts so we could steal them, but that would drive my guess of $25k even higher, and i doubt you will get the car to compete with a similarly price audi a3, or 1 series if you keep jacking it up..

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      I might be interested in doing that door conversion though lol, I prefer 2 door cars, and the back seat would still be accessible without leaning the front seat forward. I'm not completely sold on it, I'd hate those doors a few years down the line when they started wearing out, and didn't want to stay up.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Banned
      Thanks
      That was back then rabbit.
      I can honestly see them turning the Aveo platform into a proper Cadillac or Buick. All would have features unique to that model. GM has all the ingredients to make the cars proper for the brands. I can see the Buick version with heavy sound deadening stuffs to reduce the sound, give it a quiet comfortable ride, a slightly larger engine (probably 1.8L) and a more upscale interior with unique styling. I can see the Cadillac version as an all out hot hatch with a turbocharged engine (probably a tuned 160 HP variant of the 1.4L turbo to take on the Fiat 500 Abarth), possible magnetic suspension which Cadillac has become known for, awesome handling, a higher end interior, angular styling. This would all be while keeping the Chevrolet variant a very bare bones model much like it is now, but there is room to move it slightly upscale. They have all the ingredients for small car greatness. Now watch them **** it up.

Don't get me wrong, the new GM has done great. I'm just waiting for them to do something stupid. It's bound to happen sooner or later. I honestly like that concept. It's a proper Cadillac to me. That's something I would buy.
      Last edited by Z34guy; 11-18-2010 at 07:09 PM.
      - 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - LQ1 3.4L DOHC 24 valve semi-hemi V6, 210 HP, 215 ft-lbs of torque, 4T60e 4 speed automatic with O/D.... 123,000+ miles. Slowly resto-modding it.
      - looking for a first gen Aveo for a daily driver :D

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      ok. your wait is over, making a cadillac aveo is stupid. all that great technology that cadillac does have does not go on all its models.. every car manufacturer is "building" themselves out of their original markets.. gm is competing with itself again in all classes. its a stupid move the history shows does not work.

Banned
      Thanks
      Actually, there is a market for small luxury cars like a Cadillac Aveo. Mercedes does rather well with the A class and the B class, which should get passports for the US soon, Jaguar and Aston Martin are reportedly working on small car projects of their own. Small cars are the In thing now.

Above: Aston Martin Cygnet. My case in point.

Last edited by Z34guy; 11-18-2010 at 11:14 PM.
      - 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - LQ1 3.4L DOHC 24 valve semi-hemi V6, 210 HP, 215 ft-lbs of torque, 4T60e 4 speed automatic with O/D.... 123,000+ miles. Slowly resto-modding it.
      - looking for a first gen Aveo for a daily driver :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast