•  
    Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 7 clunkers to avoid

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Aveeo View Post
      I see what you did there. That minivan was right off the dealer lot, and was rattling like a son-of-a-gun. I could also see the inconsistent panel gaps 10 feet away. Too bad it isn't more than 2 years old, or it too would have been on this list.
      You got me there

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      i think the reason the aveo gets such bad ratings is the timing belt...people forget to check it and change it when their suppose to and when that goes people throw a hissy fit. The other thing is people probably get ripped off at the dealer and pay too much for their aveo and then expect the quality to be better that the 10k car it is. My aveo has been the best investment ever. Its all paid off and its still running fine at 105,000 miles. The only problems I have had are minor and were due to my modifications and my drive it like i stole attitude when I was younger. Yea the suspension growns occasionally and the car rattles over bumps but it still gets me from point A to point B consistently and for cheap.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by aveosam View Post
      i think the reason the aveo gets such bad ratings is the timing belt...people forget to check it and change it when their suppose to and when that goes people throw a hissy fit. The other thing is people probably get ripped off at the dealer and pay too much for their aveo and then expect the quality to be better that the 10k car it is. My aveo has been the best investment ever. Its all paid off and its still running fine at 105,000 miles. The only problems I have had are minor and were due to my modifications and my drive it like i stole attitude when I was younger. Yea the suspension growns occasionally and the car rattles over bumps but it still gets me from point A to point B consistently and for cheap.
      but is does not have 300hp!

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by thehunterooo View Post
      but is does not have 300hp!
      not yet any way
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by daug1502 View Post
      not yet any way
      Remove the Chevy logo and place a Honda one.
      Resale value up 75%, HP up 300%, and Reliability up 650%.
      Deal with it.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Aveeo View Post
      Remove the Chevy logo and place a Honda one.
      Resale value up 75%, HP up 300%, and Reliability up 650%.
      Deal with it.
      I MAD BRUH, COME AT ME

If you just made the Aveo JDM, the value would double easily.

Thanks

avoid aveo? what other options do i have? a proton?

Hi all,
      I just have to say you guys are so lucky to be able to get an aveo for such a cheap price.
      Where I come from it costs ~$23k ++ for a new one.
      Yes where else but in Malaysia can such american cars be sold at a high price...
      So my wife and I had to opt for a 2nd hand one, which cost immediately $14k USD after 1.5 yrs.
      Had driven it for about 1.5 yrs now...so 3 yrs manufacture's warranty almost over....

Had a few troubles with it, but lucky manage to claim warranty for it still...

Below are my list of issues:
      1. Air con freezing after few hours of continuous driving causing the blower to be blocked... - dealers replaced the compressor for me under warranty claim but not solving the issue and was told to just live with it and to switch off my aircon manually each time the freezing happens...
      2. Engine die off intermittently, replaced throttle body after 5visits to finally confirmed it's worn off, solved the issue this one....
      3. Rear defogger not working, replaced after 3 visits to confirm it's not working to claim warranty parts. so whole rear mirror was replaced...
      4. (lost my car keys, this one is not covered of course, had to replace one which cost about ~$170 USD if converted....)
      5. engine or air con giving burning smell on up hill climb, but dealers says problem was not reproducable and keeps ignoring it....
      besides that also I feel the car is definitely under powered with the 1.4L engine variant they sell in this region.
      with a 4 gear auto trans, it really felt heavy and under powered.

MPG was like 25.5 on average, best ever was 34(highway/freeway/motorway whatever way you call it...), city driving was like 22.

question to the experts:
      Does any of you used the X1R fuel saver ****?
      Could it have caused my throttle body to worn off so quickly?

My story to owning an aveo:
      We were searching for a non-local made car, because our streets are simply filled with them...we wanted something which looks different in our city....the ONLY options available for our budget however is ONLY a new proton saga, perodua myvi, (all local cars).
      2nd hand options was chevy aveo1.4 sedan 1.5yrs, and a 5yrs peugeot 206

test driven peugeot 206 felt small and a bit unstable with a bit of noise here and there since it's already 5 yrs old.
      test driven the aveo, felt sturdy and quite comfy...
      went to proton dealer to request to test drive a saga BLM, was rejected because we did not make an appointment... -_-"
      looked on its display unit, and my wife stepped into it, hold the steering for like 5 secs, came down of the car, and said let's get the chevy! I immediately agreed seeing how light the doors are on that proton and the smaller size it is and its known reputation for giving random quality built in their new cars...some engine caught fires after few days of driving I heard.....and proton will replace the whole car to compensate you to keep it low profile... LOL

so what da heck, $14k USD for a 1.5yrs chevy aveo in Malaysia it's still quite a good deal....only later on I find out how much fuel it consumes and the problems that comes with it....

But nonetheless it's still a comfy car, and as mentioned there was simply no other options for me to choose....so the aveo being low in 2nd hand resale value is the MAIN reason I got the car in the first place....

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      Malaysia, that's where the ultra racing bars are made. I still haven't gotten mine that I ordered back in May. As for problems, mine is about 3 years old and i have only had the odometer screw up, and the serpentine belt has cut into the power steering line. It hasn't started leaking somehow, but I'm sure it will someday.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Thanks
      At least our 'clunker' is paid for!

I'll keep it and add a turbo t.fader's Avatar
      Thanks
      i drive 550 km a week and payd 40$ a week in gas. i have 106000km and have spent no more then 2000$ on my car for parts. i pay 105$ for insurance. clunk this

Fastest Aveo5 In The GTA

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast