•  

Thread: recent long trip MPG - good on highway!

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

recent long trip MPG - good on highway!

Not that I didn't already know it had good highway MPG (low 6.x L/100 kms with 4 passengers + baggage from Montreal to NYC), but just went on another long driving trip, Montreal to Niagara Falls, then to Ottawa and back to Montreal.
      All highway driving, around 115 km/h (70 mph) by GPS (plus a few spirited passings and a bit faster around Toronto to keep up with the flow), cruise controlled, AC on all the way, 3 adults + daypacks, TB coolant bypass + SRI, 175/65R14 Nokian AWP WR2 tires, 35 psi front, 32 psi rears, 5 spd manual.
      You can make it fron Montreal to Niagara Falls on a single tank of gas and have some left. With a 44 L tank, I calculated 6 L/100 kms on the highway, which is around 39 mpg US gallon or 47 mpg imperial gallons.
      Had I been 1) alone, 2) no AC, 3) following the speed limit to a T (100 km/h), I'm sure I would have gotten sub-6 L/100 km i.e. broken the 40 mpg US or even the 50 mpg imperial barrier. But then again, if I followed the speed limit around Toronto, I would have probably been run off the road.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: recent long trip MPG - good on highway!

Excellent! It's good to hear that our cars have some real fuel economy potential. I myself have been driving alone, limiting my A/C use, and have actually removed my entire rear seat to decrease weight, and have so far topped at 38 U.S. MPG. I probably would have reached 40 if all my trips weren't so short.