•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MPG seems really low..

What's wrong with my car? VaVaVeo's Avatar
      Thanks
      u must be from somalia... cause u done went and pirated my thread!

lol i kid, i kid.. i havent noticed this myself... but alas, i have no idea what im talking about.

im at half a tank and a little over 100 miles clocked... ill be surprised if i get near 250 on this trip...

Thanks
      ok so after filling it up all the way, i got about 211 miles on a full tank. the gauge had just gone into the red when i filled it up, so theres a possibility that there was still a gallon or so left. with the roughly 10-11 gallon tank as thehunteroo suggests, thats a little over about 20 mpg with the possibility that it could've gone an additional 10-20 miles, thatd be about 22-23 mpg. i do drive in some moderately heavy traffic on the way home; its not san francisco or LA heavy, but it takes over 30 minutes to get home from work (about 10 miles)

ive been really careful to not go over 3000 rpms, except when getting onto the freeway. even then, its only slightly over the mark. the tires arent stock either; theyre bigger and thinner... ive changed the oil and filter, ran several quarts through the transmission and changed the filter (ran about 4 quarts through and then put in ~ 2) i'll do sparks plugs as well.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      RPM's do not matter when it comes to MPG's, 22-23 is good for city driving. Since you have an auto, driving under 42-43mph will eat up your mpg's if you can ride at 44-45+ and have it shift into overdrive/5th then you will see a gain.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I have dropped a Cold Air Intake, Iridium Plugs/Wires, Air Breather and used one of the IAT Resistors. I get around 31 MPG but that is mixed city and highway.
      All High way I reached 39 MPG. and Mind my Aveo is in Car Audio competitions... I carry approx 600 - 1000lbs extra in the vehicle (Not including people )

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      2nd gen aveo has an 11.9 gallon tank. i dont imagine the 1st gen having to much of a difference in tank size either

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      im not sure what the gallon equivalent is but my 05 aveo hatch has a 45 litre tank and get 6.2 l/100km combined

Thanks
      One of the biggest keys to getting good mileage is to avoid using the brakes as much as possible. This is especially important in traffic. It takes a lot of gas to accelerate, and using brakes is basically like throwing away that gas you just used to get up to speed. Almost everyone likes to speed to the next light then slam on the brakes. If you know you aren't going to make it through the light, stop accelerating and just coast. The light is going to be red once you get there anyways. There is no benefit to getting to the red light any faster. With some practice, you should be able to time the lights on your route so you approach the red lights as they turn green so you don't have to stop nearly as much.

JPD
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      One of the biggest keys to getting good mileage is to avoid using the brakes as much as possible. This is especially important in traffic. It takes a lot of gas to accelerate, and using brakes is basically like throwing away that gas you just used to get up to speed. Almost everyone likes to speed to the next light then slam on the brakes. If you know you aren't going to make it through the light, stop accelerating and just coast. The light is going to be red once you get there anyways. There is no benefit to getting to the red light any faster. With some practice, you should be able to time the lights on your route so you approach the red lights as they turn green so you don't have to stop nearly as much.
      That's great advice, it links with using something like a scan-gauge or vacuum gauge to monitor when the Aveo goes into coast-down mode. Many drivers coast in neutral thinking that dropping the rpms saves fuel when in fact it wastes fuel. Stay in gear when coasting.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
      That's great advice, it links with using something like a scan-gauge or vacuum gauge to monitor when the Aveo goes into coast-down mode. Many drivers coast in neutral thinking that dropping the rpms saves fuel when in fact it wastes fuel. Stay in gear when coasting.
      I have a Scangauge on my '09 and the MPG is much better when coasting in neutral than when in drive. The automatic transmission is a real fuel hog in the lower gears.

Thanks
      <-- regrets never learning to drive stick...

also, got 245 mpg the last fill up. i may have been able to go further, but it was on E so i didnt want to risk it. it seems a bit better than my old 95 altima, but not by much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast