Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 Pontiac Wave: New Fuel Economy Record

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: 2005 Pontiac Wave: New Economy Record

Quote Originally Posted by Bigs
      How can you guys pull those numbers?

In combined driving (70%HWY/30%CTY) I get 29MPG / 8.2L/100KM... The best I ever got is 33MPG / 7.2L/100KM with a bit of Hypermiling...

I would have to drive way under 100KM/H to come near the numbers I have seen in this thread....
      At what speeds do you drive?

I'll bet that if a substantial amount of your driving is done at speeds under 45 MPH the A/T is not in high gear and torque converter lockup: which means your fuel economy will suffer.

In other words, an Aveo with A/T only gets great fuel economy at speeds over 45.

Espresso...
      Thanks

In combined driving (70%HWY/30%CTY) I get 29MPG / 8.2L/100KM... The best I ever got is 33MPG / 7.2L/100KM with a bit of Hypermiling...

I would have to drive way under 100KM/H to come near the numbers I have seen in this thread....
      in my commute, there is a 100km/h-limited expressway. parallel to that is a 4-lane 80km/h highway. i take my opportunity to poke around on the 80km/h highway. here i can do some pulse-and-glide and some coasting. i have done my tests and driving at 100km/h hurts my FE. too much wind resistance. when i do need to use the expressway, i do use drive-with-load, but to some extent. too slow and i could get rear-ended, too fast and im wasting gas. in the city, i time the lights and coast as much as possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thebluelightbulb

in my commute, there is a 100km/h-limited expressway. parallel to that is a 4-lane 80km/h highway. i take my opportunity to poke around on the 80km/h highway. here i can do some pulse-and-glide and some coasting. i have done my tests and driving at 100km/h hurts my FE. too much wind resistance. when i do need to use the expressway, i do use drive-with-load, but to some extent. too slow and i could get rear-ended, too fast and im wasting gas. in the city, i time the lights and coast as much as possible.
      Merely driving slower is not necessarily going to give you a gain in fuel economy.

80 kmh = approximately 49 MPH. If your speed falls below 45 MPH at any time during your route your A/T will probably downshift (or fall out of torque lockup mode) automatically, resulting in a drop in fuel economy. What I am describing appears to be the result of the way Chevy rigged this transmission. Try keeping your speed up over 50 and see whether there is any improvement.

Thanks

Lately to test my FE, I have been going 100KM/H and under... But I have caught my dealer skipping on some important stuff... Which could be the cause of this.

My tire pressure was at 21... I asked when I brought the car in what they did? She said they do a point inspections, oil change, tire pressure check etc... Well, next time, I will have to see if they even changed the oil...

I since added air in my tires to the recommended manufacturer psi and will see how that goes. That was a 12psi difference (by memory, I think it should be at 33) and that's freakin HUGE....
      2008 Aveo LS Sedan Manual - Flame Red
      Detailer at heart!

Espresso...
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock

Merely driving slower is not necessarily going to give you a gain in fuel economy.

80 kmh = approximately 49 MPH. If your speed falls below 45 MPH at any time during your route your A/T will probably downshift (or fall out of torque lockup mode) automatically, resulting in a drop in fuel economy. What I am describing appears to be the result of the way Chevy rigged this transmission. Try keeping your speed up over 50 and see whether there is any improvement.
      yeah. lately ive been poking around a wee bit too slow. my last fuel score was about 6.9l/100km or 33.9 mpg. i should keep it above 50mph.

Espresso...
      Thanks

Lately to test my FE, I have been going 100KM/H and under... But I have caught my dealer skipping on some important stuff... Which could be the cause of this.

My tire pressure was at 21... I asked when I brought the car in what they did? She said they do a point inspections, oil change, tire pressure check etc... Well, next time, I will have to see if they even changed the oil...

I since added air in my tires to the recommended manufacturer psi and will see how that goes. That was a 12psi difference (by memory, I think it should be at 33) and that's freakin HUGE....
      i took my car into the dealership once and they forgot to check my tire pressure. sometimes i don't get what i pay for. anyway, i always keep a tire gauge in my glove compartment handy and i check the tires about once or twice a month. the recommended pressure is 30psi, but i usually keep them at 35.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Heck, I just air my tires up to 40psi. The ride is a little rough and bumpy but I haven't gotten less than 35 MPG.

I'm a little disappointed though, because I have a manual transmission and no A/C (SV model). I use all the hypermiling techniques and in the first 15,000 miles that I've had the car, I'd achieved 37-39 MPG regularly. But now I have 27,000 miles on it and no matter what I cannot do more than 35MPG, even when cruising at 55mph for long distances.

But it's still pretty good MPG, so I'm not complaining.

Espresso...
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetroAveo
      Heck, I just air my tires up to 40psi. The ride is a little rough and bumpy but I haven't gotten less than 35 MPG.

I'm a little disappointed though, because I have a manual transmission and no A/C (SV model). I use all the hypermiling techniques and in the first 15,000 miles that I've had the car, I'd achieved 37-39 MPG regularly. But now I have 27,000 miles on it and no matter what I cannot do more than 35MPG, even when cruising at 55mph for long distances.

since you've got a manual, you can probably shift into 5th at around 40mph. i've heard of people chugging around in 5th down to 35, but you'd need a level grade for that.

Thanks

since you've got a manual, you can probably shift into 5th at around 40mph. i've heard of people chugging around in 5th down to 35, but you'd need a level grade for that.
      If you inflate tires to more than 35 PSI you might find the car handles oddly.

If you lug the engine in 5th gear at 35 MPH it may be somewhat uncomfortable, and lugging the engine also contributes to engine sludge.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock

If you inflate tires to more than 35 PSI you might find the car handles oddly.

If you lug the engine in 5th gear at 35 MPH it may be somewhat uncomfortable, and lugging the engine also contributes to engine sludge.
      Umm wrong. Sludge happens at high temperature, not at high load. I happily shift into 5th at 35mph, no lugging. Mind you, the streets I take are pretty flat. I can keep up with traffic no problem. Traffic on the main streets I take rolls along at 40-45mph (in a 30 zone)

I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast