•  
    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 Pontiac Wave: New Fuel Economy Record

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Re: 2005 Pontiac Wave: New Economy Record

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernAveo
      Quote Originally Posted by one_man_jam
      very nice. the best mpg i ever did was super close to 40. like 39. something. i usually get around 32 to 35 around the city and 36 to 38 on the highway though
      I don't think an Aveo is ever capable of 35mpg in the city. More like 20-25 is you are lucky.

You might want to check your calculations. They seem way off the mark.
      i guess i could be lucky, but for sure at least always around 30. i do have I/H/E, Bosch iridium IV spark plugs and magnecore ignition wires to boot. The 30 ish mpg's werent really seen consistently until after all the upgrades.

ULTRA RACING canada goodies available here ://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=catalog/27

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

[quote=one_man_jam]
      Quote Originally Posted by NorthernAveo
      Quote Originally Posted by "one_man_jam":3ifeqi38
      very nice. the best mpg i ever did was super close to 40. like 39. something. i usually get around 32 to 35 around the city and 36 to 38 on the highway though
      I don't think an Aveo is ever capable of 35mpg in the city. More like 20-25 is you are lucky.

You might want to check your calculations. They seem way off the mark.
      i guess i could be lucky, but for sure at least always around 30. i do have I/H/E, Bosch iridium IV spark plugs and magnecore ignition wires to boot. The 30 ish mpg's werent really seen consistently until after all the upgrades.[/quote:3ifeqi38]

Still, you will have a hard time convincing people that those numbers are real. I run iridiums as well and an intake and muffler won't increase the fuel economy by 10mpg in stop and go city.

Mine is 25mpg with Synthetic oil and everything.

Thanks

30mpg is quite doable in city traffic with the right driving techniques. You just gotta time lights and try not to use your brakes much. Airing up your tires to max sidewall pressure helps too as it lowers your rolling resistance. Granted, many people won't do these things, but it is possible.

Espresso...
      Thanks

i filled the tank yesterday and i got 6.35L/100km, which is 37.05mpg US. i've been using pulse-and-glide, light timing and drive w/load in mixed driving (30% city, 70% highway). i did use shell v-power for the cleaning agents, but when i filled, im just using bronze. my fuel economy can be better. i need new plugs.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thebluelightbulb
      i filled the tank yesterday and i got 6.35L/100km, which is 37.05mpg US. i've been using pulse-and-glide, light timing and drive w/load in mixed driving (30% city, 70% highway). i did use shell v-power for the cleaning agents, but when i filled, im just using bronze. my fuel economy can be better. i need new plugs.
      thats awesome. good to hear i'm not the only one here getting the numbers i mentioned
      ULTRA RACING canada goodies available here ://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=catalog/27

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

thats awesome. good to hear i'm not the only one here getting the numbers i mentioned
      That's 37 mostly on the highway.

Not 32-35mpg you are stating for city only. Seeing the car's rating is for only around 23mpg city, there is no way you are get 35MPG. City is completely 100% driving around in a stop and go city environment. Driving on city higher speed (60mph+) highways within the city doesn't count and is considered highway and can skew results. The best I have seen with 100% city is about 23-26mpg.

I can see 37MPG to be perfectly obtainable in warmer conditions and I can't wait to see how this car performs when temps rise up.

I will be sticking to premium fuel which should help stop hot spark knock retarding the timing and power/economy.

Espresso...
      Thanks

i even got a better reading 3 fills ago. i got a fuel log at ecomodder if you want to see it.
      http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-l...vehicleid=2484
      of course, im always thinking... i should have got the car with a manual trans. they are better for hypermiling.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

i even got a better reading 3 fills ago. i got a fuel log at ecomodder if you want to see it.
      http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-l...vehicleid=2484
      of course, im always thinking... i should have got the car with a manual trans. they are better for hypermiling.
      I'm pretty sure when temperatures warm up that I will be able to hit 40 on the highway if I keep the speed down to 100km/hr.

I was going in between 110-125km/hr for my tests which isn't exactly perfect fuel economy conditions and the roads were not flat at all.

If you want a fantastic synthetic oil for cheap, try the Esso XD3 0w30 which is solely what I use and it is the only PAO Group 5 synthetic on the market, but you can only get it at Esso oil distributor stations.

Espresso...
      Thanks

you might hit 40 at 100km/h, but most of my highway driving is on a 80km/h limited road. the OD on my auto shifts in at about 73km/h and i can wind it down to 71 (it kicks out at 70). i find that i get my best economy at around these speeds. i usually drive between 75 and 85, as to not *completely* tick anyone off. using the expressway kills my FE, especially when i get a head-wind on most days.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

you might hit 40 at 100km/h, but most of my highway driving is on a 80km/h limited road. the OD on my auto shifts in at about 73km/h and i can wind it down to 71 (it kicks out at 70). i find that i get my best economy at around these speeds. i usually drive between 75 and 85, as to not *completely* tick anyone off. using the expressway kills my FE, especially when i get a head-wind on most days.
      Oh bingo then!

That make perfect sense.

Yes, at those speeds, 42mpg would be easy seeing 35mpg doing 40km/hr more is pretty good.

Gotta love a 5 speed.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast