•  

Thread: Newbie to The Aveo5!

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Cool Newbie to The Aveo5!

I just found this little gem at my go to dealership after totaling my 06 civic hybrid! What do I need to know about the 2010 Aveo5? I've heard first gens have some issues but wondering what this model I need to watch out for. I bring her home on monday They need to run it through their shop (Check engine light was on)!

Colorado Springs, CO 2010 Chevrolet Aveo LS Used Hatchback Denver, CO Englewood, CO Springs Automotive Group | P2841A | KL1TD6DE9AB126140

Casual Roadtripper RicochetRandy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Hey there, congrats on the new vehicle!

By the 2010 lineup, most of the old problems had been worked out, but there's still some things to note:

In the section of your owner's manual under maintenance, you need to do those things when it tells you to, no lollygagging! Keeping on top of maintenance = a reliable car.

Now, something to keep a close eye on is coolant mixing with transmission fluid. Your vehicle uses two plastic tanks that are on the same housing, beside the radiator. It's been noticed that sometimes the divider breaks, and the two fluids mix together, ruining everything.

They way to tell if this happens is to become familiar with what your coolant should look like, and keeping a very close eye on it. Once every two weeks, pop the hood and check it, it'll be the yellow cap on a white tank. If you catch it early, the transmission and engine will be fine with a flush! (And replacing the coolant/transmission fluid, of course!)

That's all that comes to my mind at the moment, so with that said:
      Happy driving!

Thanks
      Ok going to find out about making that 2 seperate tanks. Why on earth did they think a single unit was a good idea haha. Quit cutting corners GM korea!!! Lol

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      you can easily install a transmission cooler and bypass the rad cooler. GM korea isn't the only ones who use that design.

Most of the issues that come up on the boards here are the added accessories, power locks, power windows, etc. But overall the car is just a reliable as any other product on the road. I personally agree with the maintenance. The big thing is the spark plug replacement interval even if you don't feel it in the drivability the plugs need changed every 25k.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      valve cover gasket

Thanks
      @petrifird.rabbit

Ah ok so I'll need to do spark plugs probably now. I'm getting it from a used car lot and I'll assume prior owner didn't do that. Any recommended brand? Going to do them myself. Determined to learn to do everything I can myself

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i stick with the NGK coppers they came with, sure they need changed every 25k or so, but some of the others I bought wouldn't even allow my car to run. And some of the better plugs haven't proven (to me) that they will last longer for the extra money.