•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New, What to know before buying an aveo lt?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Wink New, What to know before buying an aveo lt?

I know nothing about these cars and have been asked to go look at one for my sister to see if she should buy it. So being active on other car fourms I figured the best way to get the information I need is to ask the people who know these cars inside and out.

So what are the common problems on these cars that almost always need to be addressed when buying one?
      Where should I be looking for signs and symptoms?
      Whats the standard tune up on one of these with 120k miles on it I figured automaticlly the basics of all cars all fluids changed, new plugs and wires, brakes, the whole works.

Your knowlage is much appreciated and sorry If I posted this in the wrong area lol

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      I assume it is a 1st gen aveo for that kind of miles, not a bad car overall, but the big thing to check is the timing belt, at 120k or so it may very well need one if it has not been changed in the last 40-60k miles, if I was in your position, I would look at some other options, but if you can get the aveo at a good price/well maintained then you can't go wrong.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      check all the suspension bushings etc, just like any other car with that kind of mileage. Control arm bushings and rear beam bushings are prone to ail on aveos at some point.

and timing belt.

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      Timing belt is a big one. There tends to be a nasty wind noise at speeds 65MPH range or on really windy days. It can be fixed and there is a how to on this forum. Not a big issue but can be annoying.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      the timing belt was replaced along with the water pump at 80k miles everything else checked out good it was a company car so maintained pretty well I'm doing the valve cover gasket and plugs today. another question would be the fuel door... it needs a new latch or what ever you would like to call it anyone got a part number on that?

JPD
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I own a 2010 Aveo, it's a 1.4l base-model manual. You should consider how poorly they perform in safety crash-tests before you buy them. youtube has several videos. Watch and think carefully before buying!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i disagree, "real world" crash my friend was in:

Aveo - 1. 400whp mk2 - 0.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      oh, btw, my friend was in the vw. not the aveo.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
      I own a 2010 Aveo.... You should consider how poorly they perform in safety crash-tests before you buy them.
      Relative to what vehicles and which crash-tests??? The Aveo and others in its class do have weaknesses in side impact, with performance varying between sedan and hatchback body types. Aveo HB has been 5-star on frontal impact for both front seats since 2004. NHTSA test results for the U.S. Aveo variations thru 2010 are here:
      1990-2010 Vehicle Search Results | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Here is Aveo performance relative to some other 2010 like-class models:
      1990-2010 Vehicle Search Results | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Sure, there are safer vehicles, especially many larger ones. Run a Suburban-class SUV and any subcompact into each other and the results are going to be lopsided... mass matters. Though when you stop to consider the NHTSA results, most car occupants would be slightly safer in a 2010 Aveo HB than a Mini Cooper, new Beetle, or Yaris.
      Last edited by rodo; 10-03-2011 at 09:14 PM.

JPD
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Hi, thanks for posting those links, I feel much better about owning an Aveo now!
      It sounded like the guy was buying an older Aveo with 120k on the clock (maybe not) and I accept that the model has been tested by many different organisations with differing results. It failed the Euro NCAP crash-test in 2006 as the passenger cell collapsed, but other tests may not have produced the same results.
      I was comparing the Aveo with other similarly priced sedans like the Honda City and Yaris Sedan but whether they are safer would depend on how which test was used and how the Aveo LT was equipped (which year).
      I agree the 2010 Aveo got the top rating in the US NACP as they improved the crumple zone and made airbags standard, but I inferred from the original post that someone couldn't have driven 120k since last year. Sounded like an older model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast