•  

Thread: 2009 Aveo5 LT Burning Lots of Coolant

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2009 Aveo5 LT Burning Lots of Coolant

Hi there everyone,

I recently acquired an '09 Aveo5 LT. When I bought it everything seemed fine. A couple days of driving later, the Check Engine Light came one. Read the codes, p0455, p0138. Fixed the evap leak, and ordered a downstream O2 sensor.

While poking around the engine bay I noticed a hissing sound from the valve cover. Seems like the PCV relief vacuum went bad. So I put my finger on the vacuum hole to plug it for a second, and then realized engine sucked in a bunch of oil into the spark plug wells, and also sucked in a bunch of coolant.

The oil I saw in the wells and the coolant I know because when I turned the car back on after a few minutes, plumes of white smoke started to come out the tail pipe. I replaced the valve cover later that week, but the car is still consuming coolant. The valve cover is no longer leaking oil though.

So, wondering if there are any Aveo experts out there who can tell me what's up with the car? Do I have a bad PCV in the intake manifold and bad manifold gaskets, and if so could that cause it to combust coolant? Or am I dealing with a head gasket leak here? The oil btw is clear and the coolant when I last checked was not oily so I didn't suspect a head gasket.

Thanks.

Thanks
      I had the same issue. First check the coolant system with a pressure pump. I think you can rent it at AutoZone. Second, the smoke could be oil in the intake making it's way to the combustion chamber. Oil is getting sucked in through where that vacuum leak is. The vacuum leak is the diaphragm that acts as a PVC. You should clean the intake manifold out of oil, change the valve cover and check the coolant for leaks.

Thanks
      Sorry I'm new to the forum.i just re-read your post. If you already replaced the valve cover just clean out the oil in the intake manifold.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FaTch1 View Post
      Sorry I'm new to the forum.i just re-read your post. If you already replaced the valve cover just clean out the oil in the intake manifold.
      It wasn't oil unfortunately it was coolant either leaking from the intake or head gasket-- coolant reservoir was running dry. the oil wasn't actually being burned, just pushed out from the rear main seal due to a faulty pcv mechanism in the intake manifold. i sold the car to auction before the summer.