•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: n/a needs lots of input!

n/a needs lots of input!

okay so ive made up my mind on what i plan to do with my motor, im planning to stay N/A, but im gonna try and pick up another aveo motor that had a timing belt broken and needs headwork, so when i eventually blow this one ill still have the stock motor.

i want to do the lanos head swap and opt for the aluminum intake mani, also i want to run a 4-1 header and run a larger throttle body.

so heres my complete parts list so far im sure its probably way off though

-used aveo motor that needs headwork
      -used lanos head and intake
      -beefier internals for the sake of nitrous and turbo later on
      -4-1 header
      -larger throttle body (size idk?)
      -new spark plug wires
      -new spark plugs
      -twin fan swap instead of single fan
      -75 shot of nitrous

i need to know if ill have to change the electronics over as well or will it run on the stock electronics

i really need as much input as possible on this, im pushing to make this swap as possible as can be and to have it done by christmas at the latest.

also remember im not some certified technician for honda or chevrolet so be critical so i can get some understanding here.

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: n/a needs lots of input!

Quote Originally Posted by BigNasty
      N/A and FI builds are totally different. You'll spend a lot more time/money if you change your mind/build down the road.

-4-1 header
      4-2-1 will give you a better overall power curve on an N/A build

Unless you drastically increase displacement, or use F/I, this is rather pointless on a 1.6l motor. The air will just get stuck in the throttle body and create negative pressure, killing any charge, and taking torque along with it.

-new spark plug wires
      -new spark plugs
      don't fix what's not broken

Why spend the money if it's not overheating? I'd only worry about this with an increase in compression, addition of forced induction, or if you're running the engine at high speeds for an extended period of time.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      i got a lanos intake i can sell you

how much are you selling the intake mani for and how much would a head run me somewhere?

Re: n/a needs lots of input!

Quote Originally Posted by exodus
      Quote Originally Posted by BigNasty
      N/A and FI builds are totally different. You'll spend a lot more time/money if you change your mind/build down the road.
      okay so for N/A would you suggest beefier internals? id rather go N/A anyways for reliabiltiy's sake.

[quote:1n6ftlka]
      Unless you drastically increase displacement, or use F/I, this is rather pointless on a 1.6l motor. The air will just get stuck in the throttle body and create negative pressure, killing any charge, and taking torque along with it.[/quote:1n6ftlka]

im wanting to bore to 1.8, so would that be enough increase of displacement for a larger throttle body?

[quote:1n6ftlka]
      Why spend the money if it's not overheating? I'd only worry about this with an increase in compression, addition of forced induction, or if you're running the engine at high speeds for an extended period of time.[/quote:1n6ftlka]

i think the under hood heat problem will dissapear when i put in the new cat under the oil pan[/quote]

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      what kinda of gas do you plan on using? regular still? if so go 10.5:1 cp ratio if you want premium go 11:1 or higher. i posted on here about a NA built done on the 1.6L sister engine in the UK that was putting out 160whp in the low end form and 190 in the highend one....you have to build the engine to highcompression and so itll rev high to make more power

if im gonna do it and spend the money i might as well go all the way and go high end. so that 190whp build would it be possible to run a 75 shot on it?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Cylinder head for a 1.6L Lanos. Years 99-03. I do not know if this year will work with the aveo but Here you go.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/DAEWOO-LANOS-1-6-CYL ... dZViewItem

Ryan
      Quote Originally Posted by thebarber
      if you cant take a joke, dont be one.
      Quote Originally Posted by y2daniel1981
      ah yes... the ricer scale.
      1 ricer = 3 vin diesel
      1 vin diesel = 2 paul walker
      4 paul walker = 1hp

Thanks
      can we realy run 10.5-1 ratio on regular gas?

my second thought is: how good is out knock sensor/system, will it be able to retard the timing enough to prevent detonation if say you run 11-1 ratio, but you filled up with regular gas?

i know you can put 87octane in to a bmw, and it will lose some power, but its not gona blowup.
      Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, rather than drive a fast car slow!

Thanks
      Might as well get forged pistons if you're boring out the block. I don't know if there's enough material to get to the 1.8l mark, which even if there is, I'd be more worried about the block itself, rather than the pistons/rods.

As for the TB, without forced induction, that air is most likely just gonna get stuck inside the TB, waiting on the manifold/engine. With a slightly larger TB, you might get slightly increased _initial_ engine response, but who cares? It's an N/A build, engine response will be great regardless.

I wouldn't say you have a heat problem unless you actually get the little red light. Relocating the cat will probably drop the ambient engine bay temperature quite a bit, though. I also wouldn't count on the fan to cool the radiator either, unless you plan on being stopped a lot (DRAGFAGS! :P), maybe try to give the aveo a bigger mouth?

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast