•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 04 Aveo clutch pedal goes to floor

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      It's been a while, but from what I remember it was pretty simple. Remove the battery and battery tray for easy access from the top. The shift linkage was kind of a pain, but just follow the points it connects to the transmission and unbolt. I do remember I removed the whole C shaped bracket that a lot of the linkage was held to, and just let that hang while I dropped the transmission. That bracket was held in by 3 or 4 bolts.

I think there are only 2 or so wiring connectors, maybe one for the backup lights and one for a speed sensor?

Oh, and the gear oil will spill out when you pull the axels out, so you'll want to have a container handy and some more gear oil. Good time to actually fully drain it and clean the little magnet on the drain plug. If I remember right I just unbolted the ball joints and tie rod ends to allow the strut assembly so swing out enough to pull the axels out.

Unless you know your clutch is really decent, I'd recommend just ordering a clutch kit while you're at it and getting it over with. You'll literally have the whole transmission out at this point just like you'd have to do with a clutch job. Do you really want to have to drop it again sometime soon down the road? I wasn't about to gamble that! You can get a whole clutch kit on eBay for under $100. Parts are super cheap for these cars.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Hey guys I'm having the same problem I have a 2008 Aveo I replace the slave cylinder my clutch pedal also went to the floor I put it in and now the clutch pedal is very hard it does not want to go back down I don't understand is there something that I am missing or not understanding about this is it something easy and simple please if you've had this problem and got past it please email me eddietierney515@gmail.com

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Just e-mailed you this is case you don't check back here:

Sounds like you had the same problem I had. The shift lever in the transmission bent. This is the lever that the slave cylinder pushes against when you push the clutch pedal in. The lever isn't pushing back against the slave cylinder (because it's bent), so the slave cylinder is already all the way out, giving you the hard clutch pedal. If you push on the pedal too hard, you'll blow the slave cylinder seal out and need to replace that again.

The bad news is, to replace that clutch lever you have to drop the transmission. The good news is it's not terribly hard if you've done anything like that before, the part isn't expensive, and you might as well do a clutch job while you're in there since a whole kit is only around $100.

Good luck!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I recommend replacing the clutch release lever and fork whenever you do a clutch job on Aveos. It seems to be a common failure and will drive you nuts trying to figure it out when the lever "bends". It may appear fine like mine did, but the lever shifted or bent in the weld even though it appeared fine. This will prevent the clutch pedal from being fully pressed to the floor. Many times it will end up with you blowing out the slave cylinder. Both parts are less than $50 US dollars. Changing them while you already have the transmission out will save you from having to drop the transmission again. If your parts are fine, change them anyway. It may prevent a costly and inconvenient tow bill later. I believe the part numbers for 2004-2008 Aveos are as follows:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to milesvinson For This Useful Post:

xintersecty (12-13-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12